early a body /6 to 440?

-
has anyone did this swap using factory suspension...no modern parts, and not cut up the car to do it,,,,

I'm gettin ready do do a 400 in a 64 Valiant. I am going to use big block spool mounts and everything is going to be stock with the suspension. It will likely even retain the factory 9" drum brakes for a time.

i have done this 440 swap in my 66 dart...simple when you are using a straight axel gasser style....but in my 65 dart, alot had to be done to get it to fit...like v8 center link, will need a center sump oil pan so the idler arm will clear when turning to the right, if using the center sump pan no mods needed on the /6 k member, need to cut the trans tunnel at the top om the cross member if using a 727 trans...also bend the pinch weld where the firewall meets the floor. iam using hooker fenderwell headers, but need to rework the center tube on the pass side and the first front tube on the driver side.

I modified the crap out of the inner fenders, trans tunnel, trans mount, and Kframe but I wanted it set back and lowered in the chassis. Mine will have stock suspension but upgraded brakes.

what iam running into is the idler arm side of the v8 centerlink is hitting the oil pan,,,when turning to the right,,,but turning left it doesnt hit...i have different oil pans but they are the same depth at the rear as the one i have...cannot raise the engine any higher

what iam running into is the idler arm side of the v8 centerlink is hitting the oil pan,,,when turning to the right,,,but turning left it doesnt hit...i have different oil pans but they are the same depth at the rear as the one i have...cannot raise the engine any higher
That is a common problem. You have to use an oil pan designed for an A body.

What oil pan do you have? The C body pans will fit. One number is 187. That's what's on my 400.

That's the first I've heard of this issue. I didn't have to do this on my 66. Do you have a photo of where it was interfering?

It would be a first for me hearing it too. The only thing I've heard regarding the transmission tunnel involves using the 727 behind the big block. That requires the pinch weld in the transmission tunnel to be flattened. Anything further I have nether seen nor heard about. The transmission tunnel supposedly requires nothing for use with a manual transmission behind a big block. All that said, no two of these cars were made the same, so I am sure a modification might be required on one that will not on another. Just do like I am going to. Once I get all of the parts, I am going to go for the install and "just do" whatever I need to to get the job done. Too many people always want to know every little stinkin detail before they jump because they're scared. It's impossible to give every detail because every car is a little different. When I do finally get ready to do mine, rest assured, I will take tons of pictures.

Last edited:
It would be a first for me hearing it too. The only think I've heard regarding the transmission tunnel involves using the 727 behind the big block. That requires the pinch weld in the transmission tunnel to be flattened. Anything further I have nether seen nor heard about. The transmission tunnel supposedly requires nothing for use with a manual transmission behind a big block. All that said, no two of these cars were made the same, so I am sure a modification might be required on one that will not on another. Just do like I am going to. Once I get all of the parts, I am going to go for the install and "just do" whatever I need to to get the job done. Too many people always want to know every little stinkin detail before they jump because they're scared. It's impossible to give every detail because every car is a little different. When I do finally get ready to do mine, rest assured, I will take tons of pictures.

I hear ya. On my 66, I didn't even need to flatten the pinch weld to make room for the BB 727. The only reason I did (along with raising a portion of the trans tunnel) was to make room for a scatter shield/trans blanket. It really is crazy how different all of these cars are from one another - compared to today's standards.

agreed, i dicn't cut the tunnel any putting a 440/727 in my 65 dart. just folded the pinch weld flat for bellhousing clearance.
neil.
i had to notch out a little piece at the top where the trans mount bracket goes up one side and down the other side of the trans tunnel so the tail shaft would go up far enough to get the bolts in the trams mount...i had to do the same on my 66 dart as well

i had to notch out a little piece at the top where the trans mount bracket goes up one side and down the other side of the trans tunnel so the tail shaft would go up far enough to get the bolts in the trams mount...i had to do the same on my 66 dart as well
maybe you used a different/taller rubber mount?. i think from memory i used the /6 one.
neil.

has anyone did this swap using factory suspension...no modern parts, and not cut up the car to do it,,,,

73-up disc brakes up front and 383 torsion bars but other then that factory suspension.. is this considered "cut up"? i built this car in the 90's in my early 20's. easy swap..

22629050.jpg

22629024.jpg

22629042.jpg

nice job did you make thoses headers? thats my only issue, using hooker fenderwell headers they will need to be modified to clear the shock towers....

nice job did you make thoses headers? thats my only issue, using hooker fenderwell headers they will need to be modified to clear the shock towers....

i had them made locally. they weren't cheap..lol.. biggest issue with the swap is the exhaust. i woudl never use those hooker fenderwells.. gotta cut much on a 67-up abody. god knows how bad they will fit an early abody.. having the 440 in the car was easier to work on then when it had a 360 in it believe it or not.

i had them made locally. they weren't cheap..lol.. biggest issue with the swap is the exhaust. i woudl never use those hooker fenderwells.. gotta cut much on a 67-up abody. god knows how bad they will fit an early abody.. having the 440 in the car was easier to work on then when it had a 360 in it believe it or not.
i like what was made....i have had that engine in my 66 dart,,,gasser piece of cake, not worrying about the stock stuff....

Last edited:
-
Back