Early A Throttle Pedal Assy.

-

mopowers

Reaction score
Have any of you early A guys replaced their slant six throttle pedal assembly with a later model cable-type pedal assembly like pictured below?? Seems like a pretty straight forward swap. Am I missing something?

s-l1600.jpg

Not with one of those......but with the factory early A V8 pedal yeah. That is VERY simple, as the factory dimples are already in the floor pan where the studs go so all you have to do is drill. But the later model pedal I've never done. Caint be hard.

I only ask because I've already got a later model set-up and the early V8 set-up seems pretty hard to find. I'm sure someone's already done it.

I would stick with the early A V8 set up.
Much cleaner, bolt in way to go.
They are out there. Post a wanted add.

Have any of you early A guys replaced their slant six throttle pedal assembly with a later model cable-type pedal assembly like pictured below?? Seems like a pretty straight forward swap. Am I missing something?

I have, but that was about 1975, so I don't remember the details. If it was difficult, I imagine I wouldda remembered,lol. I do however, remember the goofy slanty stuff I removed,lol.

Yes I have in both my 66's. I don't remember what I took the pedal assembly out of
but it was a floating type like you show.

I believe the pedal was from a 88 fifth Ave I had as a parts car. Fits pretty easy with a little fabrication and tweaking. Floating pedals are less tiring on the foot/ankle.

Biggest hold up is pedal alignment. Foot needs to be in a comfortable position but the cable needs a new hole. The early A cable hole is in the wrong spot. If you use that as the guide for the mounting the pedal you will very much hate driving with a cramp in your toes... lol! Don’t ask me how I know. try to find a factory pedal set up. Factory made it very easy swap.

you almost need everything in place - steering wheel, brake pedal, seat etc to make decision where to mount. But with that in the way it’s had to move under the dash to work on it. Very little room.

I would stick with the early A V8 set up.
Much cleaner, bolt in way to go.
They are out there. Post a wanted add.

We already know you always go with what is neater and cleaner. My GAWD look at your engine bays. They should be in a art gallery. lol

I believe the pedal was from a 88 fifth Ave I had as a parts car. Fits pretty easy with a little fabrication and tweaking. Floating pedals are less tiring on the foot/ankle.

It'll fit. I am almost 100% positive I put one in my 65 Valiant. I sold that car in about 2001, so I cannot remember for sure, but I am almost certain I put that pedal in it. I do remember it WAS a floating style pedal. Kitty actually reminded me. She loved driving that car. She never lost a street race.

Also get the right geometry, ie position and cable throw. you dont want to floor it and be leaning on the pedal with only the butterflys holding it off the deck! Likewise with the rise of the pedal at idle. I put a pinto pedal in a 57 Ford (hey, it was still a Ford part...?) and it worked but I had to put a piece of wood under the carpet so flooring it would bottom out the pedal before it would break he cable or carb linkage. It had no travel adjustment, but in hind sight I probably could have made a better cable mount n the throttle arm to match the pedal travel.

Well, looks like it's going to work with little effort. I'd try to locate a factory early-A V8 setup, but since the firewall has long since been smoothed with all holes filled, it doesn't really save me any effort.

After test fitting the later model pivot assembly the pedal rod interferes with a popout in the floor pan/firewall, but with some strategic bending, it'll clear fine. I'll post up some photos when it's installed.

When I converted to cable throttle in my 63 Valiant, I couldn't use the 64-6 V8 A body throttle setup because the 63 has a different firewall and the firewall wiring junction was in the way. With very little modification - just a bit of trimming and drilling a hole or two - I installed a swing pedal setup from a later A body (71 Duster I think). But, to make it look original from above, I cut off the swing pedal and welded a spoon from a V8 64-6 A body to it, and used the 64-6 V8 floor pedal. Here's a couple of pix. First one shows the setup before I replaced the firewall pad and mostly covered it up, with the pedal bent back so you can see the welded on spoon; second one shows it with everything in place. Did it all by eyeball, just a matter of making sure you have full pedal travel and that the angles are correct. Hate a sideways looking pedal that I've seen in many a street rod.

DSCF0016.jpg

20191115_135321.jpg

Well, looks like it's going to work with little effort. I'd try to locate a factory early-A V8 setup, but since the firewall has long since been smoothed with all holes filled, it doesn't really save me any effort.

After test fitting the later model pivot assembly the pedal rod interferes with a popout in the floor pan/firewall, but with some strategic bending, it'll clear fine. I'll post up some photos when it's installed.

The demples are on the inside of the firewall, not the engine bay side. You smoothed out the interior of the firewall ?

The demples are on the inside of the firewall, not the engine bay side. You smoothed out the interior of the firewall ?

****, that's a great question. It's been so long since my dad and I smoothed out the firewall, I can't remember. Here are some OLD photos from when we did it. All I know is that there aren't any dimples left, on either side. LOL

BTW- there's been A LOT more work done since these photos were taken.

upload_2020-10-11_19-46-50.png

upload_2020-10-11_19-48-7.png

Finally got around to snapping a few photos of the final product. With a little modification, the later model pedal assembly will work out great. I still need to procure a shorter throttle cable.

upload_2021-4-9_20-26-5.png

upload_2021-4-9_20-26-44.png

upload_2021-4-9_20-27-14.png

I ran across an early A at PickNPull maybe 6 years ago (1964?) that had a cable pedal from something kludged in. Definitely not a later A-body pedal, looked more 1980's. I am sure you will make it neater than they had. The engine was probably already gone, so no idea what they were doing.

I swapped in a universal pedal assembly yesterday. If I had planned ahead when I tore everything apart for this project, I would’ve been hunting for an early a V8 pedal, but as it was, swapped to a 4bbl later on in the project. If I come across one, I’ll swap to it, but as is, needed a pedal

-
Back