Early A windshield washers

-

Princess Valiant

A.K.A. Rainy Day Auto
Reaction score
so I'm looking online at pics of original and restored engine compartments of 1962 and 1963 A body cars and it seems none of them had a windshield washer set up.

Is this common knowledge amongst early A owners or am I not seeing it

unnamed.jpg

JCW3948596-6.jpg

engine-after.jpg

012317-Barn-Finds-1963-Plymouth-Valiant-Wagon-5-630x473.jpg

If you look above the clean out plugs and hood to cowl seal on the 3rd and 4th pics, you’ll see a little opening on the vertical part of the cowl. That’s where the washer nozzel would be located. On 60-62 IDK.

FWIW 65 A Bodies used the hard plastic washer bottle which mounts to the top of the driver’s side inner fender. 63/64 used a bag on a bracket (bag is really hard to find one that hokds water!)

My 64 Valiant had single speed wipers, and no washer. I found a good variable speed wiper, and switch, to do conversion. Just got the "squirters" last week. Still need to get a bottle, and pump.
Just a FYI: Not positive, but I think the washer was not available with the single speed wiper (at least not the electric washer). There was a washer that used a "bulb" on the floor, near the dimmer switch, that you pushed, and that sprayed the water. Not up on what years used what.

Not sure about 62, but windshield washers were optional in 63. As noted above, unlike later A's with a plastic tank, 63s and 64s used a bag hung on the driver's side inner fender next to the firewall. This picture from April 1963 Motor Trend shows it, but it's partially hidden behind the guy's arm.

VAL01.JPG

Last edited:
-
Back