Early Barracuda emblem colors

-

Bob Jasinski

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Can't find anything about this in the archives, so I will post. I am looking to determine the correct colors for the painted blue and red in the center of the chrome moulding below the rear window of the early Barracudas, and the same colors show up on the small emblems in the center of the front turn signals that I currently have apart. My rear window original piece has no paint left at all. The turn signals still have the paint, but is faded, also, I have two original steering wheel emblems, one is the optional woodgrain, and the other the standard wheel, both with good color. The blue and the red are darker on the steering wheel emblems, and am wondering if the original red and blue painted emblems were darker like the wheel. Anybody else researched this? Any recommendations for a paint color? I have a lot of model paints and several blues and reds, but hard to tell what the original color was.
IMG_4895.JPG
IMG_4896.JPG
IMG_4898.JPG

I would try and match the colirs on the horn centers which should not be that faded compared to any exterior parts with those colors.

Yes, probably the same colors as the horn button. I just bought some model car paint and a nice brush for my Dart trim and GT emblems.

When everything's new, the horn button blue and red are considerably darker than the exterior emblem blue and red.

You can get extremely close to the original exterior emblem colours with Chrysler engine red and Chrysler engine blue, easily available in spray cans.

Thanks all. After I posted, I started searching online and found these FS emblems. The blue seems a bit lighter than the steering wheel emblem, on the NOS one at least. Not trying to get crazy here, just want to do the best I can matching it before I paint. I will be buying a couple of the reproduced FS emblems, and may wait until I get them to do anything. That NOS one sure looks like Mopar engine colors, as you mentioned Dan, thanks!
barracuda-formula-s.jpg
FS emblem.jpeg

A friend of mine found and bought this lens from a dealership for me in the late 80s so I could replace one that had a rock chip on my '64. I left it in the original Mopar package for a couple more years until I got the car completed, so I probably installed it in 1990 or so. The car has been driven so it now has some signs of regular wear but it has been stored indoors since I put it on so should not have faded much, if any. From my memory it is currently the same color as it came and has not faded. I used about a thimble full of Krylon Chrysler Engine Blue and added one drop of Testors white for model cars to match my original park lens on the other side which was missing it's paint. (Ya, really scientific...I know...) I also used regular Krylon Chrysler Engine Red for the red on that side and it matched well. When held side by side you could see a very tiny difference but once the center grill was between them I could not notice any difference. I used those same colors to touch up the emblem above the trunk too.
turn lamp.jpg

This one from Classic appears to be a bit lighter than the original.
https://www.classicindustries.com/s...n-lamps/lenses/#mz-expanded-view-450257068754

Last edited:
-
Back