Easiest headers to install?

-

72DartCustom

Reaction score
Without paying a ton of money (under $200), what are some headers that would be an easily bolt on to a 72 dodge dart with power steering?
Explain your installation process as well.
Thanks!

Good luck. Seriously tho. Tti headers are the only option. If you don't want headers that drag on the ground, or have to cut your inner fenders to install them, they are really your only option.

Good luck. Seriously tho. Tti headers are the only option. If you don't want headers that drag on the ground, or have to cut your inner fenders to install them, they are really your only option.

That and Doug's headers

There are a variety for smallblock mopars. Headmen, Summit, Hooker, flowtech etc..full length headers that fit the car as is without any cutting. The summit ones (which are identical to the headmen ones) are only $120 and comes with the hardware and reducers, but I also want headers that arnt a pain in the *** to install. I know they come with instructions on how to install them but what is exactly needed to be done?

My hooker headers from summit 175$ weren't that back to installing them idk bout the power steering tho

My hooker headers from summit 175$ weren't that back to installing them idk bout the power steering tho

Did you have to take apart the steering linkage and undo the bolts to the motor mounts to raise the engine up a few inches?

Motor mounts yes..... Steering bar all I did was take apart the ones on the drivers side off of the bar and moved it out of the way.

And I had to remove the pass side torsion bar but that was about it nothing hard just time consuming

Find some hp 340 manifolds I think is the less time to install but TTI and Dougs make people smile! suspension parts passing thru the header are a pain

Find some hp 340 manifolds I think is the less time to install but TTI and Dougs make people smile! suspension parts passing thru the header are a pain

OT, but that last comment reminds me of the time I put headers on my '68 Dodge van 318. The manual shift linkage ran through the headers.

under $200 are the cheapie headers. they are all pretty much the same. flowtech, hooker headman and whatever other cheap ones.

The ones someone else installs for you.

Dougs and tti are the only ones that fit well from a low hanging standpoint. All the cheapies are basically the same.

Cheap set of headers from Summit racing will just about be the same as any other cheap header. You don't get to "easy to install" until you through some bills on the table and they are still a PITA.

Buy these... they'll keep under $200

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G9040/
They do not fit spool mount...I got 1974 dart 318 and Milodon oil pan and I dinged up to fit,just using them to break in motor and will go doug or tti later....
Here is the link to the instructions:
http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/instructions/sum-g9040.pdf

Ya I have those summit racing headers on my car they worked ok they clearence dosent work very well with the torsion bar set up and they hit random parts of the body/suspension worked good on my 318 but now that the 360 is in I will be buying new headers my dad is looking at these for his 340 duster http://www.jegs.com/i/Hedman/500/78500/10002/-1

Those were the exact ones I was looking at. I think I will go that way.

I put a set of them on my 74 Dart Sport. They are a PITA to install, took me about 7 hours. Just take your time they will work. You may/will have to ding them in a couple of spots.

With power steering you will have to cover the hose on the unit as it is real close, to keep it from burning through. I bought a piece of high temp hose from Napa, and put some of it on the starter wire, and on the pump line.

I also have spool mounts and they worked, and I have yet to have them drag on anything. I would also suggest getting some high temp wrap and put some around your starter before you put the header on to protect it from heat soak. It will kill the starter.

Those were the exact ones I was looking at. I think I will go that way.

Might want to price a mini starter at your local auto parts store. They are smaller and give you more room to work with. You can use the same starter with higher end headers as well.

I'm not sure exactly the best years but a 90 something Dodge Dakota with V8.

I put a set of them on my 74 Dart Sport. They are a PITA to install, took me about 7 hours. Just take your time they will work. You may/will have to ding them in a couple of spots.

With power steering you will have to cover the hose on the unit as it is real close, to keep it from burning through. I bought a piece of high temp hose from Napa, and put some of it on the starter wire, and on the pump line.

I also have spool mounts and they worked, and I have yet to have them drag on anything. I would also suggest getting some high temp wrap and put some around your starter before you put the header on to protect it from heat soak. It will kill the starter.

My starter wires and starter are both already heat wrapped. I wrapped them up when I got the dual exhaust done on my car. Thanks for the advise on the power steering and the heads up on having to modify the headers some.

Might want to price a mini starter at your local auto parts store. They are smaller and give you more room to work with. You can use the same starter with higher end headers as well.

I'm not sure exactly the best years but a 90 something Dodge Dakota with V8.

Starts in 93. I have a newer dodge starter in my car. The extra room is so nice. Plus i picked mine up from a junkyard for only 30 bucks.(if you want one from a junkyard, just look for a dodge truck with a beer keg intake)

I don't think you can say "easy" and "headers" in the same sentence
on an A body.

That's why I use Cast Iron:D

Attachments

• DSCF3629 (Medium).jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 2,261
I don't think you can say "easy" and "headers" in the same sentence
on an A body.

That's why I use Cast Iron:D

True, and im sure manifolds would be the only thing you can call easy, but I just want the sound you get from headers. which is why I asked if anyone was running any shorty ones on here.

-
Back