Easy (?) OD Auto Install

-

Topless69

Reaction score
I’ve got a 904/8.75 with 3.55 rear on my 69 Barracuda.
Other than going with a Gear Vendors O/D, what’s the easiest overdrive transmission to install that involves the least cutting/grinding/fabbing/welding?
The Cuda I’m working on is too nice and original to take a sawzall and grinder to. I’m open to any ideas, even non-Mopar suggestions (I know, Blasphemy!)
Just trying to come up with a solution to drop highway RPMs on my driver.

Thanks in advance for any and all ideas.

gear venders is the easiest way not to cut.. can call these guys TREMEC TKO, TREMEC Magnum & SST A41 Conversion Kits for 1964-1976 Mopar A-Body: Dart, Valiant, Barracuda, Duster, Demon, & Scamp and see if they have something but its gonna cost more then a gear vendors i'll bet. why are you so against gear gendors?
I don’t have anything against gear vendors at all. From everything I’ve seen they make a great product, just trying to see if there may be another way to go about getting O/D, whether it’s Mopar or non-Mopar without it costing thousands.

I don’t have anything against gear vendors at all. From everything I’ve seen they make a great product, just trying to see if there may be another way to go about getting O/D, whether it’s Mopar or non-Mopar without it costing thousands.
I put a 2004r in my 69 Cuda. I made a thread about it.

I see US Car Tool makes a crossmember for 200's.
The first item you must decide on is the trans adapter. TCI and other make the Mopar to GM trans adapter but different companies make their adapters different thicknesses. The thicker the adapter the further back it pushes the trans. The further the trans gets pushed back the more mods are needed.

I'm looking for the thread I made on it as we speak (type). I had to trim and modify the upper trans cross member. No cuts to the tunnel or floor.

op doesn't sound like he wants to do that.. guess we will see what he wants to do..

The Cuda I’m working on is too nice and original to take a sawzall and grinder to

Here's the thread just in case. My Barracuda was also a perfect factory specimen with absolutely no rust or damage (collisions).....not even one small dent!! I also didn't want to butcher it. The upper trans mount could be easily replaced or repaired if someone wanted the car to be perfect again. Either way, here's the thread:

Will GM 200r4 work with factory floor shift location?

gear venders is the easiest way not to cut..
that's what people say but i don't think all A-body floor pans are created equal. some guys say they only need a little hammer work to get it in, but unfortunately i can't seem to find any good threads with lots of pics, and a complete step by step of one with no cutting that gets an auto trans all the way back in the stock position. mine sure wouldn't do it :lol:
The Gear Vendors install thread

i almost did a 200-4r. the GV is probably a little more work

4.JPG

9.JPG

I've never had anyone on FABO disagree with information that they asked for?? Guess I'm GONE!!

Here's the thread just in case. My Barracuda was also a perfect factory specimen with absolutely no rust or damage (collisions).....not even one small dent!! I also didn't want to butcher it. The upper trans mount could be easily replaced or repaired if someone wanted the car to be perfect again. Either way, here's the thread:

Will GM 200r4 work with factory floor shift location?
Yes I just found and started reading your thread - It reads almost like a blueprint for what I have and what I want to do, only difference being mine is a vert, so some additional (much needed) stiffening has been built in from the factory. Also noticed we’re both in Texas - What city are you in?

The OP did say, "involves the least cutting/grinding/fabbing/welding"
Yes I just started reading your thread and would like to avoid unnecessary alterations, especially pans and tunnel, although the crossmember would be a candidate for mods. Thanks for pointing it out.

Yes I just found and started reading your thread - It reads almost like a blueprint for what I have and what I want to do, only difference being mine is a vert, so some additional (much needed) stiffening has been built in from the factory. Also noticed we’re both in Texas - What city are you in?
Corpus

I’m in San Antonio. Awesome that you have a rust-free Cuda so close to the coast. Got a couple of rust issues to work out on mine. Don’t suppose you know a good metal guy in SoTX?
No, not off hand. I bought my Cuda out of Arizona, Absolutely no rust anywhere. It was so clean I hated trimming the upper trans cross member to install the GM trans. But in the end it was well worth it, 3:90 gears and 2500 RPM @ 75MPH.

Last edited:
The easiest thing to do is find an A999 and use that. 100% bolt in. It's not an OD transmission, but is a 904 with a lockup converter. It will drop the RPM by 200-400 RPM on the road. You seem to want the least possible work and that's it.

The easiest thing to do is find an A999 and use that. 100% bolt in. It's not an OD transmission, but is a 904 with a lockup converter. It will drop the RPM by 200-400 RPM on the road. You seem to want the least possible work and that's it.
I have done some research on the A999 and it may be an option, although the goal is to drop highway RPMs around 1000, from 3300-3500 to 2300-2500. Thanks Rusty!

I have done some research on the A999 and it may be an option, although the goal is to drop highway RPMs around 1000, from 3300-3500 to 2300-2500. Thanks Rusty!

You're welcome. What gear ratio are you using?

Nevermind. I went back and saw it's 3.55. You must be running a short tire. What MPH are we talking about?

-
Back