Ebay GT45 + 5.9 Magnum + E85 blow thru

-

subcom

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm getting close to buttoning up my turbo conversion and thought I'd share some pics on my progress. Car is a 65 Valiant with a stock bottom end 5.9 Magnum and EQ heads. In it's current trim it runs the equivalent of low 12s, in the 1/8 mile. I'm hopping to make it more streetable and dip down into the 10s.

Build is an Ebay GT45, Ebay Wastegate and BOV.
I fabbed the hotside out of 2.5" mild steel. Downpipe will be a 4" necked down to 3" and then T'd into my existing dual 2.5" exhaust to the bumper. The downpipe is really all I have left as far as fab goes....and maybe a few other small pieces.

Carb is an older 4150 DP I converted to E85 blow-thru with the Quick Fuel metering blocks.

valiant.jpg

Had to drop the old steering coupler and installed this solid one I picked up from Speedway for a circle track type application. This gave me an extra 1/2" clearance between the magnum manifold and the steering shaft. Also had to shim both motor mounts up about 3/4" each side. Using the Schumacher motor mount kit.

IMG_0450.JPG

E85 carb build and sump put in a stock tank.
Running -8AN 1/2" alum lines round-trip. Found an A-body sending unit on Ebay with a 1/2" pickup...that's where my return line goes.

IMG_0516.JPG

IMG_0529.JPG

IMG_0602.JPG

Thanks. Shooting for a modest 5psi at first and until I can get the carb dialed in. I ran it N/A with the old headers on it for a while and had it pretty close. It starts right up, idles well and has good AFR all the way up to WOT where it runs a little lean and will require some attention...but all of that changes once it gets pressurized anyway.

My steering is manual and barely clears. Everybody says power is a no-go.

This is where I stand at the moment. Hot side is finished and painted with the VHT ceramic paint. I moved the alt to drivers side and need to tidy it up. Need to figure out top radiator hose routing and the most painful part is getting the carb hat to fit under the hood. Im trying my hardest to avoid cutting a hole in my hood.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Oil return line going to FP block off plate with a big AN bung welded into it.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Do you have any idea how you're going to handle the adjustable mount for the alternator? Someone had driverside brackets for sale on here and it was magnum specific. I just moved mine to driver side using roughly the same hole in the end of the head, LA style Ebrocks for me though.

This is where I am with the alt right now. I'd like to mount it lower but can't find a place it will fit. I'm using the brackets from AR engineering with the small Denso/Toyota alternator.

image.jpeg

yep, mine is currently sitting in the same spot. may have to dent the valve cover to clear a stud on the back of the alt and i believe the curved bracket touches the water pump bypass hose. i'll probably hammer and trim as required since there isnt much else to do with the mag manifold on that side and a turbo hanging off the other head.

Downpipe fitted and tacked together. That was a bear! Still need to finish tying it to the dual exhaust, O2 bung and wastegate port.

image.jpeg

I am excited to see your finished results. Your engine combo is very similar to mine so this mod may be in my future! Good luck and keep up the good work!

This is where I stand at the moment. Hot side is finished and painted with the VHT ceramic paint. I moved the alt to drivers side and need to tidy it up. Need to figure out top radiator hose routing and the most painful part is getting the carb hat to fit under the hood. Im trying my hardest to avoid cutting a hole in my hood.

View attachment 1714935386

View attachment 1714935388
Manga Kool makes a 90 degree adapter and a flexible stainless steel radiator hose. Thats what I'm using on my magnum build. So I can route the top hose around my intake tubes.

-
Back