Edelbrock AVS, or Carter Termoquad????

-

Reaction score
I am in the proses of getting the parts together to switch my 318 Dart Sport over to a stock looking 340. And I am debating between these two carbs. I have used the Edelbrock AVS in various sizes, and love it. Nice and easy to tune, and runs great. But I would like this engine to look stock. So I am thinking about a Termoquad. But know nothing about them. Can any one give me some advice on them? Any good? How are they to work on? Sure looks like they can be found cheep on Ebay.

Thanks!!

Back in the 70's had a 318 Dart that ran great with a 850 thermoquad , better than a holley or AVS . It was also reliable , never gave me trouble , unlike the change the power valve holley , though one good thing is you can rebuild a holley on the side of the road , not so a TQ . If and that's a big if , you can find one in great shape they work well . I remember t was easy on gas if I had a light foot , and when floored car screamed . Had a spacer nder it as well , don't remember if it was 1/2" or 1" spacer though . That and headers really woke the car up .

try to find an early one, the 6 series from 72 - 75 or so, they dont have more of the smog/solenoid junk on them

El is right; find a 6000 series or a 9014/9015 or a '74-'77 440 truck carb.
Anyone with decent mechanical skills can work on the carb at home or anywhere else dictates it. Absolute non sense that T.Q.'s are any special challenge to work on. A T.Q. will give you plenty of power an about the best gas mileage too, David.

Thermoquad. If you don't know em, you will. It takes patience with the tuning, but once you get it there, you will love it.

The thing about a TQ is they must be set up right to start with. There are many little adjustments/specs to be met first. Theres alot of external mechanical linkages that need to be measured and adjusted if need be to what there spec is. The adjustments are easy to make and over do, so take your time.

Make sure the throttle shafts do not leak air or fuel. You can or have done for you, is to rebush the shafts. Demonsizzler above does reallllllly nice work. So, if you should feel so inclinded to pass work along, he's my guy to work on stuff when a simple rebuild is more than my carb needs. (I just do not have the tools and would rather pay the man to be honest with ya.)

I have run the AVS before and think it a way better unit over a AFB.
I switch outa AVS to try out a TQ and I like that carb a whole lot more. I catch alotta greif. Not to mention a few comments of, "WTF is that?!?!" LOL, But thats ok w/me.

I have a few TQ's that cost me pennies vs. a Holley and perform just fine for there application. $20 for the carb, $30 something for a rebuild kit, a can of carb cleaner w/basket to dunk it in. Sheeeeiiiittttttt! Basicly, for $60 a carb, I have 850 cfm of carb that performs real well.

Parts may not be on the shelf for these things like a Holley is at your loal drug store shelf, but it's worth the wait to get them. I have bent up AFB/AVS rods to fit the TQ in order to tune them up. Just bend carefuly and correctly measure twice so you only bend once.

Thanks for all the input. I just bought an intake that has one from a 1974 360 AT on it. If it looks rebuild-able I might give it a shot.

-
Back