Electric Fuel Pump?

-

onehellofadart

Reaction score
I've been thinking that maybe my problem on top end is
lose of fuel pressure. I am running a mechanical fuel pump
and think I might need to go to a electric fuel pump.

I've been thinking of a Holley Blue pump.

What do you guys use and recommend

blue pump should work fine but there loud. Mallory makes some nice pumps for more $$ but atleast you wont have to listen to them buzzing all the time. And yes you will hear it over your 3" flowmasters.

Tony, What size fuel line are you running?
Like Adam said, they are noisey, but do work.
I ran 6an (3/8") braided from the tank to the carb, and made a pick-up out of 3/8" aluminium and ran it in the original location.

Norm the line is rather large. Its braided 3/8 or 1/2" I think.
Runs from the tank to the fuel pump.

Adam which Mallory?

Don't really want the noise.

I think the Mallry pump is the 240. The Aeromotive is a nice pump also.

Mallory Comp 140 140gph $239

or

Areomotive Hotrod 150gph $160

Got the Holley red pump on my sons Dart with the stock 5/16 fuel line. We plan to change the line soon but it has run 11.66 @ 116 and not laying over just like that. If you mount the pump with some rubber insulation under it that makes it quieter but I dont care. Its a muscle car and a little fuel pump noise dont bother me. Ron

i run a BLUE holley and its not THAT loud!!!!...as along as you mount it with the little piece of rubber that comes with it...and if your running a 2 1/2"-3" exhaust,you wont hear it anyway!!!! :D

I currently run a Barry Grant 280 pump but wouldn't recommend it on a street car. On my old street/strip 340 69 Barracuda, which ran a best of 12.19@111 I ran a Holley Blue pump and a mechanical pump. The Holley pump was on a toggle switch and i only used it when at the track or when a "challenge" popped up, which wasn't very often because the car had a reputation. HeHe... Around town I shut the pump off, no noise at all,when needed just flip a switch and there it is. I usually ran with it on because I really like the noise.

mikesduster said:
i run a BLUE holley and its not THAT loud!!!!...as along as you mount it with the little piece of rubber that comes with it...and if your running a 2 1/2"-3" exhaust,you wont hear it anyway!!!! :D

I can hear my Holley pump over my 3" flowmaster 2 chambers and its mounted with the rubber.

I have a Carter 72GPH street/strip pump...Not that loud....

Also running 3/8 aluminum fuel line and Holley regulator at the carb.

moparracer said:
I currently run a Barry Grant 280 pump but wouldn't recommend it on a street car. On my old street/strip 340 69 Barracuda, which ran a best of 12.19@111 I ran a Holley Blue pump and a mechanical pump. The Holley pump was on a toggle switch and i only used it when at the track or when a "challenge" popped up, which wasn't very often because the car had a reputation. HeHe... Around town I shut the pump off, no noise at all,when needed just flip a switch and there it is. I usually ran with it on because I really like the noise.

I thought you couldn't run both at once????????

I ran more than 1000 passes with this set-up in my 69 Cuda and have friends that still do it in their cars today. It ran a best of 12.19@111 in the 1/4 and 7.62 @ 90 in the 1/8 with a low buck 340.

I know it doesn't seem logical but It did work well.

internet (Small) (2).jpg

I have the blue pump an its not loud at all to me ya u can hear it till u lite the car off,my last pump was loud even uncapped from behind the car
MIKE

tony
remenber your first question fuel volume.just buy a holley blue pump off e-bay.they sell rebuilt ones for as little as 50 dollars. hook it up and see if that takes care of the problem.then worry about noise etc.you can always buy another brand of pump later.
terry

terry said:
tony
remenber your first question fuel volume.just buy a holley blue pump off e-bay.they sell rebuilt ones for as little as 50 dollars. hook it up and see if that takes care of the problem.then worry about noise etc.you can always buy another brand of pump later.
terry

Very true!!!

I run two blue pumps on my car mounted in the trunk. -8 line to the pumps, -6 to the filters then -6 from the regulators to the carb bowls. Each carb bowl has its own dedicated fuel sytem drawing from a single fuel cell.

Same as what moparracer did,I ran the mach. pump till it was time to play, flick the toggle switch on--never had a problem with elec. and mach together. Dad has had a elec. pump on his Hemi Charger for the extra fuel when he lets it eat. He has had that set up (same pump elec.pump since the late 60's) and has never had a problem. As for my duster now with the INDY engine, i have a BG280 with a 10an to the reg. then 8an to carb----but thats for basicly strip with some street test and tune out side of town.

Make your decision carefully based on facts not opinions

Holley Blue will flow at 72 GPH at 7# pressure
Holley blue regulator will only flow at 60 GPH at 7#
Carter HV Mechanical box stock will flow at 85-90 GPH at 6#
Carter HV Mechanical re-worked by FBO willl flow at about 110-115 GPH

12 second car needs a pump that can supply 1 gallon of fuel in 35 seconds
11 second car 30 seconds
10 second car in 25 seconds....etc

Do the math.

Watch your choice of filters, an HPG 1 for example will only flow at about 70 Gallons per hour free flow to an electric pump, a mechnical will force it to flow at about 100.

A cheap azz inline Parts store filter with flow about 50 GPH at 6#'s.

5/16 lines will support about 300HP 3/8 lines will support about 400 etc.

If you not sure have an expert design you an adaquate fuel system for you application.

http://www.4secondsflat.com/Barry_Grant_Fuel_System Specials.html

Do it right and do it once

-
Back