Electric Power Steering conversion kit question

-

Ken71Twister

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have a 1971 Duster (318 with 3 speed manual) that is about to go to a restoration shop for some major body work, engine rebuild, AC, new front suspension, etc. I decided last week that I was willing to invest in power steering and I came across an electric steering conversion kit. I’m 73 and the manual steering is less fun every year.

I did a quick search and found an example of a kit thru Summit that I’m including in an attached photo.

A little reading indicated that the existing steering shaft will need to be shortened. I figure now is as good a time as any since the car is going to be torn down for the other work (I’ll be getting a new firewall as part of the restoration).

Any advice out there would be appreciated. I’m hoping someone out there can share some positive experience with an electric power steering conversion. I’m open to any suggestions if there are better kits out there to choose from.

IMG_4519.png
. I’m open to

A member here (Haven't seen for many months) did that EPAS kit to a 68 Valiant.
Apparently it works fine. A friend will be soon installing the same on his 50 Dodge with a small block.Not much under hood clearance.
I need to do the same with my Belvedere. Cost will be about the same as a Borgeson unit.
Can't make up my mind.......

-
Back