emergency brake cables

-

mad dog

Reaction score
Good morning, this might be a dumb question... Im restoring my Duster and want to use the original parking brake cables but before i do i want them operate smooth and clean.
is there anyway to get a lube into the cable, as you know the cable is encased in the metal protection sleeve, not sure what you call it. If this can be done what product would you recommend...Rich

If you search my handle in the “how to” threads, I did this exact topic but with heater control cables. Using air pressure to push the oil thru the housings.
Same thing applies to brake cables.
Good luck.
Syleng1

To expand on this. If you have to buy new cables, DO NOT BUY NAPA ONES. I work at napa and bought some for different apps and they are junk.

1720189517522.png

Here's what I did to reclaim 30 plus years old frozen cables.
I took the cables off the car, chucked the sheath of one end in a vise. On the cable ends, I installed visegrips. Then I tried working it, by pulling the cable back and fourth.
Since my cables were seized, I Repositioned the cable vertically, and sent a penetrating oil down it (NOT WD-40). I used a Ford Heat-Riser solvent from the 80s which worked real slick. And I sprayed down the outside as well. IMO those cables are NOT waterproof, so penetrant on the outside will find it's way in. I let it hang a few days, while continuing to spray penetrant in the top, until it came out the bottom.
On one cable, the penetrant never came thru. On that one I reclamped it, other end up, and repeated.
Some time later, I came back to the project, and the seized one was still seized. No amount of pulling would budge it. So Plan-B was implemented. This required me to find fairly accurately where it was seized..... which wasn't that hard as the cable was swollen at that spot. So then I lay the cable on an anvil, and smashed it with a hammer, until the swelling went down ... lol. Then recommenced the tugging routine. Well it was still stuck, so more penetrant and more waiting.
After some more days had elapsed, I went back to it, and sure enough, it began to move. Eventually quite a bit as each time I moved it, penetrant would creep in. Soon it was free. Then I flooded it with more penetrant just to wash the rust down, and out. Eventually it worked just like new! So I reinstalled it/them, and a few months later, the car passed the government-mandated safety code. and
I have never ever used those cables again.
BTW
to pass that test, the car has to also have a working horn. So I installed one. Which worked just long enough to pass the test. When it quit, and since it was dead-weight , way out in front of the tires, I took it off and threw it back into the box from which it had come. Since 1999, I have never missed it. My paint-job is my horn. and when that fails, dual 3" cannons wakes up everybody around me.
Or is it the other way around? IDK, but I've never had a close call.
lol

-
Back