End PLay adjustment?

-

71dart

Reaction score
When setting the endplay on the axle of an 8 3/4, is it possible to set it so loose that it would sound like the wheel hub is rubbing the axle? I can turn my wheel by hand and you can hear something rubbing in the wheel , when I take the wheel and hub off and turn the axle it( the rubbing noise) is not there. When the wheel is on and it rubs, I can pull hard on the tire and the rubbing sound stops making me believe the end play is incorrect. Any thoughts?

Mike

hate to sound like a smart *** but through a set of green bearings on it and be done with the end play then there is no guess work. Makes for quick shange as well if you want to swap center sections.

I agree with you Chad, next time the pumpkin copmes out so does the bearing and I'll go with green bearings.

MA

Factory bearings are stronger for the street than the green bearings. The green bearings dont like side loads so much (cornering). After you pack them with grease (just like front bearings), all you have to do to set the factory bearings is turn the adjuster in until you just bearly FEEL a click (not hear a click) when you pull and push on the axle. Then make sure you put the adjuster lock on the flange and your set for thousands of miles. The factory tapered bearings are way better than the greens ball bearing for the street.

-
Back