Engine Builder in the Chicago Metro area?

-

Divenut

Reaction score
Hey Folks,

It feels great to finally start seeing light at the end of the Old Man Winter tunnel. Can't wait to get back out into the garage with the kids. We need to do a lot of work on the 340 this year, i.e. Timing Chain/Gears, Water Pump, nagging Oil Leak, ticking lifters etc. Initially planned on doing it with the motor into the car, but as some members pointed out (Thanks Karl) it may be easier to just pull the motor. Which got me thinking...depending on what we find when we open her up, we might as well think about a refresh/rebuild. Nothing radical, just a nice stout street/strip build. Haven't gotten to the strip with this car but the motor feels pretty strong stand as it stands, having been rebuild at some point by a PO. Looks like basic KB/Silvolite #1267 replacement pistons, forged crank, rods, cam, balanced etc.

To that end, I'm wondering if anyone has had any first hand experiences with shops/builders in the Chicago Metro area? I'm in Naperville so ideally a shop within an hour or two would be great. I want to have a face to face and check out the shop so being close would be nice. I have heard of, Mopar City in Oregon IL which is only 1 1/2 hour away. But I have not found anyone that has actually had them build a motor.

We'd sure appreciate any real world feedback, experience, endorsements you folks may be able to share with us.

Thanks in advance,

Pat & Kids

I've heard good things about Sontag in Crest Hill. Small mom n pop. No first-hand experience though. Maybe someone else can chime in on this.

I'm in Naperville so ideally a shop within an hour or two would be great. I want to have a face to face and check out the shop so being close would be nice. I have heard of, Mopar City in Oregon IL which is only 1 1/2 hour away. But I have not found anyone that has actually had them build a motor.

Well, you're only 4.5 hours from Mike (MRL Performance) up in Chesaning, MI.

I'm sure it would be worth the drive.

Thanks for the input folks. Much appreciated. Peeked at Opel's site and they do seem to be a Mopar lovin shop. And only about 45 minutes from me.

siuauto & 70408dart - Have you had work done by the folks at Opel? If so what type? Thanks again.

Yep, MRL certainly came to mind. No question their reputation speaks volumes. Would love to find a local shop if at all possible.

Be well all,
Pat

Had Opel do all of the machine work to my block. (360) Bored 30 over, decked, crank turned 10/10, new pistons balanced to the factory rods and ARP rod bolts installed and probably other stuff I'm forgetting.

-
Back