Engine Died

-

Hedgetrimmer

Reaction score
Last fall I purchased a '77 Dodge Aspen wagon, which seemed to be in really good shape. Coming home a few nights ago, the valves began ticking on the highway. Before I could get home, the engine threw a rod, and I thought the car was about to explode. I was told that buying another engine would be cheaper than having mine rebuilt. I only paid $1600 for the car. I called NAPA, who quoted an engine for $1881 with exchange. That's a lot more than I expected. Any suggestions on having the engine repaired or finding a good used one?

You'd have to tear your engine apart and see how much damage was done before you'd know if yours is fixable, and how much it would cost. You should be able to get a reman long block from a local machine shop for a lot less than NAPA.

A 317? L? It should be a 225" / (slant). Or are we talking about the same US produced Aspen 6 cylinder?

My fault. You're right. I don't know where I got 317 from. It is a 225. I got in touch with an online company that offers one for $889 delivered with a 3-month warranty. The shop that used to work on my '65 Valiant said the labor to swap it out would run between $800 and $900.

That's a pretty simple swap to do yourself, if you have the tools and a way to lift the motor out. It's not near as hard as many think, and you only need basic hand tools.

-
Back