Engine paint color question

-

puregts

Reaction score
1970 Slant 6 225. I'm trying to find the right color for the engine but it seems to be an odd ball color. MP says it should be medium blue from 72 up to 83 for all production engines except 2.2L. But it is not the right color, it's too dark. The turquoise doesn't appear right either.What I have looks more light blue than greenish. Here's a couple pic's that shows what I'm looking at. A 70 Dart /6 (white) same color as mine as is the 71 Demon /6 (Bahama Yellow). What color is this engine?
I know,I know, why do I care about a slant six.? Well, since I'm swinging in another engine, and it will be easy to do, it will help locate any leaks there are, seal up some others and make the engine look like it should be. Rather than a junk yard throw together, every piece different colors, patchwork quilt, no home, walkin the dog, Cambodian kick boxer, blah, blah, blah...
...it's for the kids and I don't want to have them open the hood and it look twice as bad as it could. It's bad enough it is short two cylinders. :crybaby:

Attachments

• 70 dart 6.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 778
  • 71 demon 6.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 979
I think prior to 72 is orange.....on My 72 I had to use blue but wanted to use orange.....

I dont know the paint code.....

Someone else with more experience can answer this for sure.

The two pic's are of unchanged engines. The one in my car has been replaced and painted a dark blue and black which is, pretty obviously, wrong as the original color is the lighter shade (peeling paint on valve cover). I was just curious if anyone else has came across this and what they used to correct it. It also comes to mind that the mid 70's 318's and 360's, through the mid 80's, were a similar light blue not the turquoise color as well.
I personally have never seen an orange /6 but, as I said, I am new to the /6 stuff.

turqious or azul blue was for the early HP motors...

Attachments

• 512 Stroker (30).jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 1,457
I like the body color

SCAN0060.jpg

lol... it was warranted...

My friends would cry if they saw those aluminum heads painted. They gave me such crap over that when I did it I finally stripped them on the next incarnation of the engine just to shut them up. I like it actually.

It's black. I've had real bad luck with black engines (see pics) so I don't do those anymore. Besides all that does is hide the oil leaks.

P.S. That used to be a Mega block...

...and it's real embarrassing when the track official hands you back your connecting rod.

Attachments

• rr engine 3SM2B2.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 606
  • rr piston 2SM.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 643
  • rr rod 1SM.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 610
1970 Slant 6 225. I'm trying to find the right color for the engine but it seems to be an odd ball color. MP says it should be medium blue from 72 up to 83 for all production engines except 2.2L. But it is not the right color, it's too dark. The turquoise doesn't appear right either.What I have looks more light blue than greenish. Here's a couple pic's that shows what I'm looking at. A 70 Dart /6 (white) same color as mine as is the 71 Demon /6 (Bahama Yellow). What color is this engine?
I know,I know, why do I care about a slant six.? Well, since I'm swinging in another engine, and it will be easy to do, it will help locate any leaks there are, seal up some others and make the engine look like it should be. Rather than a junk yard throw together, every piece different colors, patchwork quilt, no home, walkin the dog, Cambodian kick boxer, blah, blah, blah...
...it's for the kids and I don't want to have them open the hood and it look twice as bad as it could. It's bad enough it is short two cylinders. :crybaby:
Looks just like the color of my six, I unfortunately have no Idea what the color is though.

And in reference to that part I bolded... You care because the engine is indestructable, easy to build power on and one of the best engines to ever roll out of detroit. Why have a V8? Go to a car show and see how many 6 bangers there are. 2? 1? None? Everybody and there brother's sister's uncle's pedophilic best friend's 15 year old boyfriend has a V8.

It's not turquoise, but we knew that. The blue anybody has is either dark or For-duh, which isn't right either. As near as I could get was a Valspar color at Lowe's called Gloss "Exotic sea". It appears to be similar to the right blue but not exactly right. It is definitely more blue than green like the Turquoise is. (See Pic)

Attachments

• Dstr ENG2 SM.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 680
I've done that too, actually. But a white slant six... just wouldn't be right. Although just plain uncolored & unpainted natural works too... :finga:

My apologies for the unsavory use of the "fingers" I didn't realize that was what it was until now. I thought it was thumbs. My bad, nothing meant by it guys. Sorry.

My apologies for the unsavory use of the "fingers" I didn't realize that was what it was until now. I thought it was thumbs. My bad, nothing meant by it guys. Sorry.

Think nuffin of it. Hell, you were fittin right in. lol

...and it's real embarrassing when the track official hands you back your connecting rod.

Chit. You crazy. I wouldda took it as a compliment. You need to put on an optimistic pair of glasses. lol

-
Back