Engine paint ??

-

Mattmoto441

Reaction score
Has anyone used this crysler orange before?? I thought I ordered hemi orange, but this looks more of a copper ish to me .
20200701_225818.jpg
20200701_225813.jpg

There were 2 colors 'hemi' and 'street hemi'. If that is 'chrysler orange', it may not even be the hemi shades.

yep...i used it. Picture makes it look more red but there is a noticeable difference.

20200525_124146[1].jpg

You may want Race Hemi Orange. P-4120751AB. It has a lighter or yelloish look. Mancinni Racing. Pricey with shipping.

1593713911146565898045.jpg

I've used it. It's kind of a flat orange, looked pale once it dried...so another coat went on.
They didnt have hemi orange, so I ended up with that. I'm going with chrysler industrial red on my 340 for my 67. Done nothing but orange for the last 30 years. I dont like the chry blue at all.

I did a quick test spray on a oil pan that had hemi orange on it 15 years ago and it's a match to that. So race hemi orange is probably a brighter shade

this is the hemi orange I used , i'll try to find the exact color. looks bright orange to me

DSC_0060_0.jpg

I'm using the mopar performance spray bomb paint in mine. Iv sprayed my oil pan so far and it looks great. I'm using the light blue color that would be correct for a 360 in 1975

I know next to nothing about small blocks, so I can't help there but here's what I think I know about chrysler orange. Race hemi orange, carried over from "the orange monster" maxwedge engines, is a very yellow-orange, used on the max and 64/65 race hemis. I've seen at least a couple different shades.
Then there are two versions of street hemi orange 66/67 and 68 up,that are different shades, the later shade being used for engine orange on (I think) 68 up 383s and 440s. (Again, I don't know it's use on small blocks).
Then there is air cleaner orange, which may or may not match fram air filters, and may or may not have changed from about 68/69 to the 73/74 color.
Then there are about three different shades of hemi orange, depending on brand of paint (cans).
Then there's Chevrolet orange, in about five shades, depending on brand, and certain Chevy paint can be closer to the right shade than the wrong brand of chrysler paint.
Then there's the tractor paint that some swear is right.

So, who knows what is right? And who cares?

-
Back