Engine side Bulkhead Connector is stuck - any ideas?

-

portnoy

Reaction score
1983 Dodge Rampage 2.2

Removed the 10mm bolt on the engine side of the 40-way bulkhead connector. Usually these pop right out with no problems, no resistance. This one is stuck like hell. I've been at it for hours with a pry bar, screwdriver, wd-40, yanking & pulling and it's gave about 1/8"... though i think i'm over estimating.

What gives? I have a spare engine-side bulkhead connector so I'm OK with this one getting destroyed. There's nothing in there as far as I can tell that isn't plastic-on-plastic. Except *maybe* the lock washer and t-nut got corroded together? that's not very much surface area and the bolt wasn't corroded...

What words have you used on it? :D
I see you tried about everything else.

A poor connection may have melted plastic together. I would be concerned about the wd40, that turns to nasty crud after a few years.

Try a couple small tack pulling pry bars.

I'm beginning to think all of the connections are corroded together from either side. it's possible... probably going to try other methods before hitting each connection with parts cleaner. maybe a hair dryer?

The connections are brass, they are more prone to be loose.
I think there is a gasket around the edge, that may stick. Have you tried to loosen the center bolt about 3 turns and tap the boot head with a small hammer? Then loosen fully and try.

I may have a used harness from an 85 Omni if you need parts.

Dollars to donuts, the connector halves are welded together.

I found a parts cleaner that is *supposedly* safe for plastic. wd-40 "penetrator". sprayed all the connections and let it sit a while. popped off after not too much struggle. Pain in the *** to clean out though, hit it with compressed air as best i could.

I appreciate all the feedback!

-
Back