Erson Camshaft ...opinion...or whatever

-

70aarcuda

Master Hoader of SBM
Legendary Member
Reaction score
About 10 yrs ago I had a set of Eddy heads ported by a Machine shop in Carson City while I was working there for the summer. The shop manager used to work at Erson Cams went they were in Carson City.

I told him I was building a 408 stroker small block and asked him for a cam recommendation. This is what I end up buying.

Looks like 264/272 @ .050 with .612 lift on intake and exhaust

I know it is based off on a .875 lifter.

110 LSA and 110 CL is what i get out of the paper work.....Any and all comments appreciated...

20200813_152532_resized.jpg

20200813_152643_resized.jpg

I don't have an answer for you but have you tried contacting PBM-ERSON

TECH LINES:

Erson Cams
800-641-7920 PBM Performance Products
800-588-9608
World Products
877-630-6651

I ran Erson cams in my street engines back in the 70s & 80s & I was impressed with the performance. Back then it was Isky, Crane, & a few of the other big names. Erson was affordably priced compared to the big names.

About 10 yrs ago I had a set of Eddy heads ported by a Machine shop in Carson City while I was working there for the summer. The shop manager used to work at Erson Cams went they were in Carson City.

I told him I was building a 408 stroker small block and asked him for a cam recommendation. This is what I end up buying.

Looks like 264/272 @ .050 with .612 lift on intake and exhaust

I know it is based off on a .875 lifter.

110 LSA and 110 CL is what i get out of the paper work.....Any and all comments appreciated...

View attachment 1715577747

View attachment 1715577748
Tell us more about the application
What head?
Street and or strip?
Auto or manual?
tire size, gear ratio, etc

Erson was the stocking cam line at Supershops, hi volume sales. Had a 'Hi-flow 2' in a Cleveland 2V/4V and it ran great. IDK if the cam manufactures are any better than their stock grinds but a custom x/y grind from 1 to anothers x/y grind will be identical. Lost of budding hotrodders back in the 80's first cams were $39 Erson's from Supershops.

Looks fine for one of your strokers.

I’d put it in at 105-106.

For Vegas, the 110lsa and 8deg split wouldn’t be my preference...... but I think it would still run pretty good.

I like it. I'm sure there are those who think it's a waste because it's not designed for the .903 lifter, but I think most all that's bullshit anyway. Erson doesn't grind junk. Their entry level stuff was kinda low on lift so Super Shops back in the day could talk you into their 1.6 rockers too, but that's just a gimmick to sell more stuff. Get past those grinds and they are pretty good.

I like it. I'm sure there are those who think it's a waste because it's not designed for the .903 lifter, but I think most all that's bullshit anyway. Erson doesn't grind junk. Their entry level stuff was kinda low on lift so Super Shops back in the day could talk you into their 1.6 rockers too, but that's just a gimmick to sell more stuff. Get past those grinds and they are pretty good.
And back in the day everybody was grinding cams with big duration and not much lift. You don't need a $1000 worth of valve train to make them work.

And back in the day everybody was grinding cams with big duration and not much lift. You don't need a $1000 worth of valve train to make them work.

That's right, but those Erson entry level grinds were stupid low lift. But you're right. Crower, Isky, Reed, Alliance, Cam Dynamics, General Kenetics and all the others were following the leads of racers who were finding success with so called "cheater" cams with stock or near stock lift and fat duration. They worked very well for people who were doing exterior bolt ons without doing anymore engine work than just cam lifters and maybe springs. They worked real good with intakes, carburetors and headers. Plus a lot of them even worked with stock springs.

That's right, but those Erson entry level grinds were stupid low lift. But you're right. Crower, Isky, Reed, Alliance, Cam Dynamics, General Kenetics and all the others were following the leads of racers who were finding success with so called "cheater" cams with stock or near stock lift and fat duration. They worked very well for people who were doing exterior bolt ons without doing anymore engine work than just cam lifters and maybe springs. They worked real good with intakes, carburetors and headers. Plus a lot of them even worked with stock springs.
I sold a lot of Crane Fireball cams. They were $49.95!

I had a few. In fact, I have one NOW in the warmed over Ford 400 under my work bench to go in the F250.
Crane Fireball #300A

Should be .447" / .447" Lift with an advertised Duration of 300*

Duration @ .050" = 222* to 232*

Flat on the Bottom, but pulls hard on the Top End.

Good up to 6500 RPM's.

Idle @ 1000 RPM, but has a nice 'chop-sound'.

Crane Fireball #300A

Should be .447" / .447" Lift with an advertised Duration of 300*

Duration @ .050" = 222* to 232*

Flat on the Bottom, but pulls hard on the Top End.

Good up to 6500 RPM's.

Idle @ 1000 RPM, but has a nice 'chop-sound'.

I forget the specs on mine right off, but it's something like .505/.515 and I think 228/232 @ .050 and I remember it is ground on a 108. I'll look for the cam card. It's higher lift than the others because of the Ford higher ratio rockers. They are 1.73.

I had a 296A fireball (350 hp/327 cam) in a 331 inch SBC with a street dominator. It didn't start pulling until 2500 with the 3.08 gears but came on like a freight train after that. 11.8:1 didn't hurt either.

I built a 70 4bl Cleveland engine for my 72 Ranchero and used a Erson TQ-20 cam. That cam really worked good and pulled hard. Later after the engine developed a knock I built another short block but I couldn’t find another TQ-20 so I went with a Isky cam. What a let down it was.

I built a 70 4bl Cleveland engine for my 72 Ranchero and used a Erson TQ-20 cam. That cam really worked good and pulled hard. Later after the engine developed a knock I built another short block but I couldn’t find another TQ-20 so I went with a Isky cam. What a let down it was.

I want a 73 Torino fastback or Ranchero pretty bad. lol

Send an email to Russ Yoder at Erson. He's the GM and will get you in contact with their in house Mopar expert.

-
Back