Evans Coolant Temps

-

charger426

Reaction score
My fresh 505 stroker is running what I think is HOT. The Autometer gauge is reading 230 at idle with my Edelbrock ProFlo4 saying 220 at idle in my garage at idle. Large garage with the door open. Regardless of which temp I believe both seem really high to me. But before I dump the Evans stuff out for some old fashion 50/50 I wanted to see what others thought as the Evans stuff wasn't cheap.

Set up is below and kept the 440 cool before when it was a motorhome motor with some trickflow heads and a cam. Only change is the stroke, bore, gaskets, rings, cam, water pump and move to EFI

Champion 22" 4 core rad
FlowKooler High Flow pump
180 fail safe thermostat
2 10" electric fans pulling

The coolant is not the reason it's running warm. I'd put my money on the 10" fans. You've got 505 inches to cool - you need some serious air flow.

Have you checked the tune? Does it need more ignition timing? Is it running lean?

Mopowers beat me to the punch. But if you want to experiment, try swapping to 50/50 keeping the Evans coolant & see which gives you the best results.

The duel 10” fans are the biggest I can fit. Hell I only have 1/4” between the back of the fan and the PS pump as is.

I agree with Mopowers, you're not pulling enough air for all of them cubes.

I had an old school hotrod with evans in it and it really took the fear of overheating out of the equation. However, my issues wasn't as much as the coolant used as it was moving more air. It had a tightly cowled sbc 350 in it with a mechanical fan and a walker radiator. Once I figured out the right combo to get it cooled by dumping the mechanical fan and adding a proper sized electrical puller fan, it was maintainence free.

There are strict directions on how to use evans coolant and I'm assuming you followed their directions. Evans cannot be contaminated with anti-freeze or straight water as it renders it pretty much useless. If you didn't have your system professionally prepped and all of the previous anti-freeze removed, its a crap shoot whether it'll be effective.

What I like about evans is that iirc, the boiling point is 375*, whereas the boiling point of a 50/50 mix is around 225* and depending on the rated pressure on the radiator cap used can reach around 250+-. That's quite a large difference of 125*-150* in its boiling point.

So with that said, stick with the evans, $50 or so a gallon is too much just to toss.

Either find a way to move more air or look elsewhere, like air pockets in the system which is easy to burp.

I don't think evans is your problem. If there was a vendor in my area that could prep my engine, I'd go back to using evans, it's a lifetime coolant.

I got a little wordy, sorry. Hopefully this helps.

Good luck! :usflag:

I run the Evans and it has been very good to me, I agree look at the air flow and radiator setup. I have a aluminum rad and 19" 7 blade clutch fan on mine and it does not get above 190 degrees

Evan coolant has near zero water as confirmed with a refractometer. Said I had less than 0.1% water. So the install was fine there.

Out in the shop now and Have 1 7/8" from the rad to the water pump. So unless adding a large pusher fan would help I don't know how to get more CFM than what I have now. I had ordered a shroud for the fans when I bought them but couldn't run them due to the size limitation.

So in watching some videos and reading up it sounds like since I have a 4 core rad the puller style set up I have might not be able to pull through the thick rad (even though I bought it at the rad company's recommendation). So a large pusher set up might be the better solution. Thoughts?

Do you have enough room to put the 2 10" fans in the front? If you can put them in front temporarily and splice in a long enough pigtail to test it, that way you can see if that helps you out.

If you try this, don't forget that you will have to reverse the fans when you wire it up.

My fresh 505 stroker is running what I think is HOT. The Autometer gauge is reading 230 at idle with my Edelbrock ProFlo4 saying 220 at idle in my garage at idle. Large garage with the door open. Regardless of which temp I believe both seem really high to me. But before I dump the Evans stuff out for some old fashion 50/50 I wanted to see what others thought as the Evans stuff wasn't cheap.

Set up is below and kept the 440 cool before when it was a motorhome motor with some trickflow heads and a cam. Only change is the stroke, bore, gaskets, rings, cam, water pump and move to EFI

Champion 22" 4 core rad
FlowKooler High Flow pump
180 fail safe thermostat
2 10" electric fans pulling
I have had several BBM engines and I can tell you that you dont have enough radiator or fan to cool that beast.
All bullshit aside the best cooling combo I ever had was a Griffin 22 inch radiator that had two 1 1/4 inch cores with a stock Mopar 7 blade fan and the factory fan shroud. That 512 never went over 190* regardless of what I did to it.

Last edited:
Do you have enough room to put the 2 10" fans in the front? If you can put them in front temporarily and splice in a long enough pigtail to test it, that way you can see if that helps you out.

If you try this, don't forget that you will have to reverse the fans when you wire it up.

Yeah room for days. I called and talked to summit because they have a metric *** ton of fans and they suggested moving to a 16" PUSHER and removing the 2 10" pulling fans.

I have had several BBM engines and I can tell you that you dont have enough radiator or fan to cool that beast.
All bullshit aside the best cooling combo I ever had was a Griffin 22 inch radiator that had two 1 1/4 inch cores with a stock Mopar 7 blade fan with the factory fan shroud. That 512 never went over 190* regardless of what I did to it.
I did also divorce the 727 transmission from the radiator and put it on a separate cooler. I believe that made a big difference.
I tried several electric fan(s) setups never did find one that worked as will as the factory belt driven configuration.

I did also divorce the 727 transmission from the radiator and put it on a separate cooler. I believe that made a big difference.

Yeah already running an external trans cooler which is in front of one of the fans so that does hurt the flow of one of the fans. Just trying to not to get into a situation where I'm throwing good money after bad. Already spent a bunch on that coolant and a high flow pump.

Yeah room for days. I called and talked to summit because they have a metric *** ton of fans and they suggested moving to a 16" PUSHER and removing the 2 10" pulling fans.
Partner I dont understand why you would "disagree" with my posts I just telling ya what worked for me. I disagree that you will find an electric fan that will work in all driving conditions.
I have not found one that will cool with A/C and/or slow cruz driving.
Dont take my word for it do your homework and search for issues with electric fans on hot rods, then make a decision.

Last edited:
Partner I dont understan why you would "disagree" with my posts I just telling ya what worked for me. I disagree that you will find an electric fan that will work in all driving conditions.
Dont take my word for it do your homework and search for issues with electric fans on hot rods, then make a decision.

Well the X you left for me doesn't really convey that.

Well the X you left for me doesn't really convey that.
I was merely trying to point out that there is no way in hell that a 16 inch electric pusher fan will cool your engine.
Touchy, if it bothers you that bad I will remove the X - chill out. Pun intended LOL

Partner I dont understand why you would "disagree" with my posts I just telling ya what worked for me. I disagree that you will find an electric fan that will work in all driving conditions.

Well the stock slant 6 rad is LONG gone and its not like there is a factory 440 71 Dart swinger rad and fan set up I can just go down and pick up at the parts store or junk yard.

I was merely trying to point out that there is no way in hell that a 16 inch electric pusher fan will cool your engine.
Touchy, if it bothers you that bad I will remove the X - chill out. Pun intended LOL

LOL no worries man. Just trying to figure out how to cool this thing back down like it was before the stroker kit.

Well the stock slant 6 rad is LONG gone and its not like there is a factory 440 71 Dart swinger rad and fan set up I can just go down and pick up at the parts store or junk yard.
OK, what did the factory use to cool BBM Darts?

Yeah already running an external trans cooler which is in front of one of the fans so that does hurt the flow of one of the fans. Just trying to not to get into a situation where I'm throwing good money after bad. Already spent a bunch on that coolant and a high flow pump.
I'd move the separate trans cooler away from the rad. As mentioned the rad is struggling for airflow already so feeding any part of it with hot air will only make things worse.
Neil.

Those mild 383s or the race car HEMIs?
Well I would think that your engine would be closer to one of the higher output street engines.
I dont think that the race hemi was ever intended to do much street duty.

-
Back