Evaporust "Black Sheep" Anomaly

-

dibbons

Reaction score
Sometimes an overnight soak results in a variety of results for the same fasteners. I'm not saying the "black" screw in the photo is not clean and rust free, but it did "suffer" a different reaction than its two brother fasteners.

evaporust anomaly.JPG

Look to be the same, but one may have different amounts of iron, zinc, or whatever else it was made with. (i.e. metallurgy)

Maybe so, but they were taken off a '65 Barracuda at the same time, same place, found in the same bag and looked the same before the dunk. I have been cleaning all the factory fasteners I removed in the same manner, and I see alike/identical fasteners in the same "dip" coming out some "black" in the same way.

Evaporust is great stuff!
I left some in an open pan last summer with 4-speed parts in it...
after a couple of weeks it turned into a thick stinky goo...
I've learned to use it overnight and then return it to its capped bottle.
$25 dollars gone after One use... :mad:

Only use as much(as little) as you can. Just enough to submerge part.
I'll buy a big pail and use only what I need at the time.

i don’t know brother, you may want to consider popping for a ‘Paternity’ test to see who the Daddy is.
:lol:

I agree with the above posts on metallurgy.

Found a way to clean factory fasteners and keep track of where they belong. Hang each stored "baggie" of fasteners on a wire, pour in Evaporust to cover, hook the ID tag/note on the hook with the corresponding baggie. Repeat with each labeled baggie.

evaporust bagged.JPG

I've not been much impressed with Evaporust. I've found soaking in white vinegar works a lot better.

-
Back