Exhausted

-

NiceFishEh

Reaction score
Hey Guys:

As I suspected, the heat riser in my 340 HP exhaust manifold is 90% closed and rusted solid.

Problem No.1

When I remove the front and rear manifold bolts, is coolant susposed to drain out thru the bolt holes? Please say yes!

Problem No. 2

The angled oil filter adapter needs to come out so the manifold will clear. What the hell size socket does it take? It's not 1 1/8 or 1 1/4. Can't buy a 1 3/16.

Problem No.3

The cast has a small crack where the pivot bar goes thru the heat riser. Is brazing the best way to repair it?

I want to remove the flap and bar portion inside the pipe and weld the rest solid so I don't have any holes to fill in. Please advise.

Problem No. 4

No manifold gasket!!! just that tin heat deflector. Should I chuck the deflector and just use the gasket or use both?

So much for a five minute job!!!

Thanks

NiceFishEh said:
Hey Guys:

As I suspected, the heat riser in my 340 HP exhaust manifold is 90% closed and rusted solid.

Problem No.1

When I remove the front and rear manifold bolts, is coolant susposed to drain out thru the bolt holes? Please say yes!

Problem No. 2

The angled oil filter adapter needs to come out so the manifold will clear. What the hell size socket does it take? It's not 1 1/8 or 1 1/4. Can't buy a 1 3/16.

Problem No.3

The cast has a small crack where the pivot bar goes thru the heat riser. Is brazing the best way to repair it?

I want to remove the flap and bar portion inside the pipe and weld the rest solid so I don't have any holes to fill in. Please advise.

Problem No. 4

No manifold gasket!!! just that tin heat deflector. Should I chuck the deflector and just use the gasket or use both?

So much for a five minute job!!!

Thanks

well i can help on #4..... use both. if the heat deflector is not htere you WILL burn your plug wires unless you figure out a way to protect them. at least on the drivers side. pass side i wouldn't worry.

i hope this helps.

Yes, the water jackets are connected to the end exhaust stud holes.

I threaded and pipe plugged my riser shaft holes.

-
Back