exhuast leak

-

player1up

Reaction score
Ok I know this is nothing new to slanters but I'll be changing out the manifold gasket again to clear up a BAD ex leak at #1 cyl.
I have a remflex gasket in there now but I must have torqued it down too much because it has "pulled" apart from the expansion of the ex manifold. I bought a fel-pro set today at lunch and to my surprise there are 2 manifold gaskets in the box!!
So, should I use both or just one and have a replacement for when the fel-pro starts leaking .. again.. Also, This time I will be shaving the head mating surface of the manifolds to make SURE that it is true
Does that little flapper thing in the ex manifold need to be there or can I cut it out or weld it open?

Pentastar performance has the best gasket I have seen yet. It is graphite impregnated composition and hasn't leaked yet. Costs around 20 bucks delivered but it is well worth it, especially when you factor in shipping from Australia.
Yes, you need the flapper in the exhaust. It keeps your carb from freezing up.

well bieng in FL i doubt it will freeze, LOL. People claim that you need it, I often wonder about it, i'd like to pull it out and have the stock exhaust manifold bored to 2 1/4" inside to match my exhaust. (its 2" stock diameter)
Manifold torque is like 15 lbs so be carefull not to over torque it!

Ok so I took the manifolds off to find ex leaks at #1,2,5,6.

SO, I took the manifolds to the table to see how well they lined up.... try 1/16th short on the ex manifold with the bolt flange surfaces (where the triangular washers go) even. Now I did this by hand.. with a grinder, LARGE file and 60 grit sandpaper on a metal block.... and it took almost 5 hrs to get it to where I was satisfied.

The first two pics are what it looked like after the first pass of the block ( to see where it was high/low).

The last two are what it looked like right before it went on..

Just hope someone can learn from my mistakes/laziness. :)

IMG00356 (Small).jpg

IMG00358 (Small).jpg

IMG00359 (Small).jpg

IMG00360 (Small).jpg

Oh, I didn't remove the flapper but I did tack weld it in the open position.

-
Back