Exploding Torqueflites

-
yup ... I understand it originally had a vega body and was changed to a cuda ... very old school... but it looks neet

I didn't now the driver untill after this incedent....
he was looking for a lenco when he meet me....
but he said he had a sore foot for a while....

and note the drum (as I was told ) whent threw the shield and the door .... and over the stands at the track

I like my lenco with the " trany blankets "

Yeah, I see where it even hit the door x brace and put a nice dent in the tubing too. Just a sore foot, man that's one lucky dude.

I own page 5.

I am not sure what this guy did ....
but he knows not to do it again............
Really .. you don't???

He damaged the sprag while in first gear causing the transmission geartrain to over-rev exploding the stock high gear drum.

It's very simple, install a billet aluminum or steel direct drum, and a valve body that applies the low/reverse band in first, and you won't have an issue.

Also, don't act like an idiot while in first gear with a 904/727 or any other automatic transmission that uses an over-running clutch. IF YOU GET OUT OF THE GAS WHILE IN FIRST GEAR, AND GET BACK IN THE GAS YOU WILL MORE THAN LIKELY ROLL THE SPRAG AND EXPLODE YOUR STOCK 727 DIRECT DRUM.

If you still feel that you may damage the sprag, keep your transmission out of first gear until you pull it into the stage beams.

I've been building these for ten years with low band apply valve bodies and billet drums. NO EXPLOSIONS TO THIS DAY...

Thank you so much for reading,

Chris Andrews

I dont think there is any bennefits of not applying the band. I think it was done to make shifts faster origanally
Hi, The advantage of not applying the band is because you can have an overlap issue from 1st to 2nd. The 1st gear band has to release & 2nd gear band has to apply at exactly the right time to avoid what is called overlap. I used a stock valve body & rebuilt it with a TransGo TF3 kit. The band is on in 1st. I also installed a bolt in SPRAG among other goodies. Works perfect. Steve

I went with a MVB with low band apply and had a full case mod by John Cope, their is s super 8 bolt ultimate sprag I installed, but any of the bolt ins are a must do.

I also run a blanket too, you can still explode, but the band apply os in most cases the best fix.

thanks great write up:)

http://smrtrans.tripod.com/smrtransmissionsintro/index.html

I dont worry about the tranny anymore .

I have his Mega Torqu 727 and his 5000 stall Converter. It has a brake , steel drum , Etc, made by a guy who races mopars. I do my burnouts in second and I lift before I get out of the box.
This tranny shifts great & runs cool. Its in my 499 cu in ,10 second 72 Swinger street/ bracket car.
I got tired of worrying so I bought a good tranny.
I do have a blanket.
I dont like fixing things, especially at the track.

Call Pat @ SMR you will sleep better.

Attachments

• 500_014.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 1,192
  • 500_016.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 1,173
  • n674534808_358129_7850.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 1,148
I dont worry about exploding TF727 either...i use 904s....

Not Yet you mean. They are great for Small blocks strokers. Pain for BB install. I would run one for the hp gain but its a hassel for me. I have owned four BB Darts . Three were factorty GTS 383 Cars. I have alot of BB parts or I would go SB stroker. I have been kicking the 408 idea around for my sons duster.

I was rolling through a water puddle at work one day and thought I'd do a "Smoky". Broke the sprag in a heartbeat! Stock 340, Early Turbo Action manual valve body.

I was rolling through a water puddle at work one day and thought I'd do a "Smoky". Broke the sprag in a heartbeat! Stock 340, Early Turbo Action manual valve body.

never do a water burnout in 1st gear........or a least come out of the water in 1st gear....

i think the TA instructions tell ya that...LOL

70, no way a 904 is any safer. You dont see many because not too many mild 904s are being raced in comparison. If a racer has a 904, it's already been beefed up, and most know about the 2nd gear burnout. The geartrain and hydraulic systems are identical in 904s, and the material is the same for the clutch retainer. If the sprage gets rolled, the same issues arise.

I've also heard of them blowing by putting into n at the end of the track(non rev.) I see that Griner makes a clean N after 3 is this a good thing you have to hold the trans brake button to use reverse.

70, no way a 904 is any safer. You dont see many because not too many mild 904s are being raced in comparison. If a racer has a 904, it's already been beefed up, and most know about the 2nd gear burnout. The geartrain and hydraulic systems are identical in 904s, and the material is the same for the clutch retainer. If the sprage gets rolled, the same issues arise.

maybe true...but i have not seen one explode like a 727...same material yes...but the mass of the drum is extremely less...

but then again...what do I know...just a bracket racer...

okay guys where can I get a 6 bolt sprag for a 904 ? and now for the real noob question can I get a valve body that is manual in 1st and 2nd but auto in drive/3rd , would like to be able to burnout in 2nd but still be an auto for daily driving , already ordered the steel drum and 24 spring return module kit and the deluxe racing rebuild kit from TCS here in Canada just need to find the rest before the new motor gets here thanks -Chris

i had a tranny explode like that last year,had parts and oil that came up from floor board,didnt get hurt thatnk god,replaced the tranny,no i have no 1st gera,but i have reverse,2nd,3rd.any ideals,going to check adjustment and drop the pan today

Where can I buy the 16 roller bolt in sprag?
Thank you
joemac1j

-
Back