Extension housing bushing R&R

-

Ironmike

Reaction score
I need to buy rent or steal one of the tools made to do this job with tranny still in the car.

Really want to help get this kid down the road, and I can't seem to find one. I know the 727 and 833 use the same bushing.

Hope someone can point me to a vendor.

I need to buy rent or steal one of the tools made to do this job with tranny still in the car.

Really want to help get this kid down the road, and I can't seem to find one. I know the 727 and 833 use the same bushing.

Hope someone can point me to a vendor.

It can be done properly with the puller/driver tool, but at an average of $150-200 you might want to just pull the housing.
SST-0161-A Ford / Chrysler Extension Housing Bushing Remover / Installer Tool C6 | eBay

Take the mount off the transmission, remove tail housing bolts there is a plate , remove it...theres a large clip, once you compress it...you can remove tail housing.

Take the mount off the transmission, remove tail housing bolts there is a plate , remove it...theres a large clip, once you compress it...you can remove tail housing.
I've rebuilt a few of these and I don't know what plate you mean. In my mind it's a tranny out, disassemble deal.......maybe I'm wrong.

Moparofficial mentioned the sequence to do it in the car and he is right, but I'll make his post just a little clearer.
Under the trans mount there is a metal plate with two big Phillips screws in it.
One the driveline is out and the bolts that hold the tail housing are out, there is a big snap ring of sorts holding the output shaft bearing in place inside the housing.
Under that plate you will see two square metal ends sticking down.
Spread those and the tail housing will pull off.
You also have to spread those to get it back on, but once it's off you will see how that works and how simple it is.

Take the speedo housing out.
Take the bolts out all the way around.
Release the bearing clip under the plate
Pull the housing off.

You will need to support the trans somewhere on the pan area after when the cross member comes out so you can pull the tail housing.

Obviously this pic is on the bench, but the tail housing is really easy to take off in the car, and this pic is mostly to show you the clip cover.

Untitled.jpg

Op is working on a 4 speed.
Thanks for clarifying that. I guess I forgot to mention 4 speed. I think it's different. Every 833 I've done, the gearset comes out with the extension housing. Even if it was possible to release the giant clip and leave the gears in there, I wouldn't want any part of it. Its a hassle getting that clip engaged on the friggin bench, in perfect conditions.

I'll gladly spend a few bucks on any tool that makes my life easier. Not to mention lending it to someone else in a bind.

You are mistaken, OD trans maybe, but my 1970 833 tail housing comes off without the shaft, DF to take the Speedo gear out.
It's easy.

Bringing this back to the top. I need to remove the tail shaft on my 833 OD truck 4 speed. Can I remove JUST the tail shaft?

Even on the OD? That's what I was hopin. Thank you drive through.
I had trouble getting mine off. Just that I cant remember what it was... I wanna think that I was in a hurry..and didnt take the speedo out..so it was only separating about 3/4 or so. Let me know if I'm wrong, i dont know everything...and some days I know less of what I used know. Lol

I had trouble getting mine off. Just that I cant remember what it was... I wanna think that I was in a hurry..and didnt take the speedo out..so it was only separating about 3/4 or so. Let me know if I'm wrong, i dont know everything...and some days I know less of what I used know. Lol

I can certainly relate to that.

There seems to be some confusion here. Some people talking about pulling an auto tail housing and others talking about an 833 housing. The auto housing can be pulled un the car by removing the crossmember (may have to remove exhaust), speedo housing and gear and then the flat plate. Remove the 6 bolts, spread the retainer under the flat plate and pull the housing off.

An 833 (OD and no OD) requires that the transmission be disassembled and I wouldn't even think of doing it in the car.

There seems to be some confusion here. Some people talking about pulling an auto tail housing and others talking about an 833 housing. The auto housing can be pulled un the car by removing the crossmember (may have to remove exhaust), speedo housing and gear and then the flat plate. Remove the 6 bolts, spread the retainer under the flat plate and pull the housing off.

An 833 (OD and no OD) requires that the transmission be disassembled and I wouldn't even think of doing it in the car.

Well that's just great. lol

-
Back