EZ convertor question-balance

-

jeeper

Reaction score
I am getting pretty close it looks like to starting on my car.....finally!

I have a 76 440 with a matching transmission. When I buy a convertor I can just buy an off the shelf version, not one requiring a special flexplate, correct?

I may do a 318 thing, still deciding.

Can I fairly freely interchange convertors between my early 70's to late 80's 318's?

I'm just talking about balance, not lock-up and non-lock up etc. I am aware of the 360 with balance.

Thanks so much, ROB

a 76 440 will be externally balanced so you will need either a balanced B&M flex plate or balanced converter.

With the 318 you need to know if the motor in internally balanced or externally balanced and if its a 727 converter or a 904 converter.

So it is the same as the 360 issue.......ah ha!

What about 318 parts with a 904?

I did not know there were internally and externally balanced 318's with the "newer stuff".

It would be from 73 to 85 specifically where I would be switching parts.

73 318s should be externally balanced and will be interchangable the 85 318. Magnum motors used a different balance also I think.

Pretty much any cast crank motor will need a balanced converter. Also I'm not sure if a converter for a 360 will work with a cast crank 318 or 340.

You first got to determine if the crank in the 440 is cast or forged therefore internally or externally balanced. Don't trust that just because the block is a 76 that the crank is therefore cast, it could have been changed out.

Terry

I now know that it is a cast crank model. I looked at the dampner and it said something to the effect of it being a cast crank model and so forth. Written in a sentence on the dampner itself. Kinda cool.

They spelled it out so even the teacher could read it.

The prognosis is the 440 is good to go as is with some gaskets etc.

Tomorrow we start in on the 400 to see what is going on inside. It was supposedly rebuilt with a 100 miles on it......we shall see.

Thanks for the ideas..........ROB

-
Back