EZ Wiring Harness

-

clinteg

Reaction score
Has anyone used one of the EZ Wiring harness kits before? I was wondering what you thought about it, how the install was, quality of the product, etc.

Not personally but I know a guy who redid his 68 dart with an ez wiring kit and he said for what you get and the price he would highly recommend ez.

Not personally but I know a guy who redid his 68 dart with an ez wiring kit and he said for what you get and the price he would highly recommend ez.

I was wondering since the price was a lot less than some other similar harnesses and didn't want to buy something that was complete crap.

So no one else has used this kit?

I have used the EZ in my demon and just finishing up using a Rebel in my dart-scamp whatever it is?Both about the same just remember all these people think GM because thery are easier and more uniform Mopar could never do any thing the same from year to year you have to adapt what ever you use to what ever Mopar you have and don't trust their instructions.Alot easier if the dash is out and you get rid of all the factory BS stuff.You'll have to do alot of splicing into factory pigtails etc so be sure to solder the connections and use heat shrink tubing and static tape to tape up the harness.Get one of those colored wiring diagrams that will help more than anything.Do alot of what is called bench testing along the way

all i can tell ya is to do your homework.. decide what you want from your electrical system in the end.

look at the different kits. see what they come with. terminals and connectors are not cheap. the more you get with a kit the better. how ya gonna tie in your head/tail lights, turn signals,marker lights and things like that? surely your not gonna wire all the way to the light and use old wire and terminals in the sockets itself. i'm sure some guys have done it that way but really thats a half assed way to do things.

are you limited where you can put the new box because its pre wired? how many circuit do you want? how many circuit do the kits come with?

how about the wire itself? is it quality stuff? is it insulated good? what gauge are they using for the different circuits?

personally i've seen a ez wire kit at a swap meet and i wouldn't be putting that in my car. but hey thats me.. if your comfortable doing so then go ahead and run it.. either way i guess its better then 40-50 wear old stuff.

i would go american autowire or ron fancis. can't shop just on price. with a wire harness always take quality over price..

no matter what kit you end up with, to truely do it right you'll probably have a few hundred dollars into supplies besides the kit itself. oh and make sure you have the proper tools too.. a good set of crimpers that will crimp various kinds of terminals is a must.

i went with the american auto wire highway 22 kit.. very nice quality, i had freedom of where to mount the fuse box because it wasn't pre wired. a must for me. it came with a bunch of light socket terminals so all my light socket were rebuilt and had new wire to the bulb.

there are tons of things that you never think of before re wiring an entire car that pop up. mostly being able to wire mopar things with these kits.. most of the mopar connectors can't be bought that i know of. things like the wiper connectors. i had to rewire the connector at the switch and the one at the motor itself. i wasn't gonna rewire the entire car and leave old wires there.. same with your heater wires, dash wires.. all that stuff... think the job through before buying anything...

ABodyjoe, I definitely hear what you are saying. That's exactly why I'm asking the question. Things are so messed up with my wiring now. I have extremely dim headlights, tail lights don't work most of the time, dash lights go on and off, dome light seems to stay on so I ended up unplugging it, the charging system goes haywire when the engine rpm goes up, like 30-40 volt spikes, it just seems a total mess. I was messing with the (corroded) fuse box one day and the tail lights just started working all of a sudden, but soon stopped working again. I just think it's time to do it over. I have never done car wiring before so I'm very intimidated by it. I'm trying to research what I can but like you said, I won't know what exactly I'll need until I get there.

This is a street strip car so I just want all the factory stuff to work as well as all my after market guages and electric fuel pump. An electric fan may be in the future too. So I want something with expandability. Just looking at some of these kits, it APPEARS that most have similar components to each other. But I'm not an electrical guy and I'm doing an arms reach look at them. So to me they look the same, but I'm sure the quality differs from kit to kit. I'm not trying to be cheap on this at all. I just figure that if I'm going to have to spend a few extra hundred on all the things the kits don't have, then why not get a kit that gets me the basic things I'll need for much less money? I'm not saying at all that the ez kit is better than the others but it MIGHT be a enough for my needs. The big things I worry about are all the connectors like the steering column, connectors on the back of the dash (which I have never seen), what to do about the bulkhead connector. I am thinking of bypassing it but hell, I don't even know where to begin with that even.

I used it. Here's my topic on it:
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=207159

You'll need to mount the fusebox pretty much right where I did for the tail light wiring to reach. You'll have to create your own splices to run the sidemarker lights and some work on the headlight switch and ignition switch. Things like the wipers and the heater box only have power connections so you have to come up with some stuff on your own, but its that way with any kit.

Make sure you use the continuity check and a factory wiring diagram for the column, not their instructions.

Get the MSD spark plug crimping tool and the dies for the factory style connectors. I detail what I bought, was no trouble to connect to the original stuff.

a few diagrams that we did when wiring my car... my car is a 71 so some things may be different..

71DartTurnSigWiring.jpg

71DartIgnitionWiring.jpg

71DartChargingWiring.jpg

One thing I'd add is my car has a Delco 12SI Alternator and I have removed the ballast resistor because I have a coil that does not require it. This cleans up the firewall and simplifies the wiring adaptations quite a bit. The EZ wire harness even comes with the right connector for a 10SI or 12SI delco 3-wire alternator.

Excellent information everyone. goldduster, I don't know why but when I search "EZ" in thread titles, nothing came up so I missed your thread, although your thread title clearly states "EZ" in it. abodyjoe, that will be VERY useful for me in the future. Post back anytime. I enjoy your avatar to say the least!

-
Back