Fan clutch Hayden 2747 vs Mopar 4095704

-

midnight340

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm wanting some of your wise and experienced viewpoints.

I ordered the Hayden 2747 fan clutch wanting to optimize my 340 cooling. (along with Stewart 180 thermostat and stock 22" radiator refresh.) When I pulled my existing clutch I found it to be the Mopar Performance 4095704. Trying to decide best one to use, not sure HOW they work exactly. Both have the spring in front, so are thermal viscous fans. (I am using a Mopar 5 blade with 2-1/2" pitch)

Do they work the same, or??? ...Cold, the Mopar unit turns a fair bit easier but still with what seems a nicer stiff resistance and no sign of wear or leakage. The Hayden has a much stronger drag at room temp. Can anyone enlighten me as to how these work exactly. Will they be similar when at operating temp??

I don't want to put extra HP into a clutch unnecessarily, but want to know for sure I'm cooling well. Seems the Mopar one has a good reputation, and sending the Hayden back to Summit saves some bucks. Any reason to keep the Hayden??

These are good questions I’d like answers to as well.

The Hayden is a universal HD clutch, and your Mopar clutch is basically the MP version of an a/c clutch. So really the same thing.

I’ve run both and you won’t notice a diff in HP between the two. I’d venture to say the MP spins easier due to being used.

I run this same fan clutch on a junky 318 that likes to run hot. Works like a champ. It's a heavy duty fan clutch and moves a ton of air. It can be loud when it engages; the sound kinda reminds me of a police crown vic trying to cool off after a chase. Like a jet engine.

Make sure you use the brass bushing it comes with to center it on the pump snout

Edit: you can tell if your old mopar one is bad if it keeps spinning after you shut the engine off.

Also

I run this same fan clutch on a junky 318 that likes to run hot. Works like a champ. It's a heavy duty fan clutch and moves a ton of air. It can be loud when it engages; the sound kinda reminds me of a police crown vic trying to cool off after a chase. Like a jet engine.

Make sure you use the brass bushing it comes with to center it on the pump snout

Edit: you can tell if your old mopar one is bad if it keeps spinning after you shut the engine off.

Also

Excellent video.

I've been using the Hayden 2747 clutch on my 71 Polara for 15 years. It's the HD one. Makes alot of fan noise at low rpm, but does what I need it to. I already have another one ready to go as a replacment or on a new project. I would recommend it if you have AC.

Thanks for the responses. I got my freshly done radiator back, and think I'll put the MP clutch back in and check it out. I appreciate the comments on the 2747 noise. If I need it I can be fine with that. Radiator was pretty clogged so it should now cool like it used to!!

Thanks for the video, great information.. for a minute there it had my head spinning at the same speed as the fan!! Then it started to sink into my viscous brain. Think I've got it now.

Hayden used to make 3 clutch types: std, heavy duty & severe duty. The HD & SD 'switch on' are thermally controlled via the bimetal coil spring in front. If one clutch turns more easily, then it is is likely to slip more....& pull less air.

The 'switch on' is controlled by the spring. The cut in temp is usually too high for my liking, so I modify the spring stop so that the clutch engages at a lower temp.

-
Back