Fan Shrouds

-

sabre67

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Did all cars leave factory with a fan shroud? Or was it an option depending on engine size? Thanks Im wondering if my 1970 Dart came with one?

Did all cars leave factory with a fan shroud? Or was it an option depending on engine size? Thanks Im wondering if my 1970 Dart came with one?
No. With factory a/c or heavy duty cooling.

Would one help with cooling a 440 in a 70 Dart?
Absolutely! Yo may need the biggest radiator that would fit as well. Good thing that generation of A bodies can handle a big wedge.

I have a shroud I got from a 68Dart that had 383 in it factory. I also have 2 7 blade fans a standard fixed blade one and a thermal clutch type both 17 inch. Im hoping one of those 2 will work

I have a shroud I got from a 68Dart that had 383 in it factory. I also have 2 7 blade fans a standard fixed blade one and a thermal clutch type both 17 inch. Im hoping one of those 2 will work
The 1967-1969 A-body had the same optional shroud. I'm not sure if that shroud will fit a 1970 radiator. If you can confirm it does, there is a topic on these forums where a member modified his shroud to make it more efficient.

Also, the 17" fan and clutch should work as long as you have enough space. The clutch is going to take up some space. Just confirm.

If you end up needing a radiator, we have a 67-69 radiator that accepts that early shroud without any modifications and will fit your 1970.

One of the purposes of the shroud is to prevent the hot air being flung off the tips of the blades from returning to the front of the fan. To do that, the fan has to be of the proper diameter for the shroud, and the fan needs to be correctly positioned inside it.
Air takes the path of least resistance, so without a shroud, and at low roadspeeds, the atmosphere,that is to say, underhood air, can get between the rad and the fan,from the engine side,with relative ease, just going round and round the fan. and that would leave the coolant in the rad, and by association, the engine too, getting hotter and hotter.
As roadspeed increases, the air gets rammed thru the front, and out the bottom of the chassis;and the fan goes along for the ride.

Last edited:
'67 shroud is slightly different and matches the '67 only radiators.
Fans for 'bubble top' radiators are clearanced to match the shape of the top tank.
A shroud will help cooling of the radiator when the car is not moving or moving very very slowly.

A '70 Dart should have a 'square top' radiator. Shrouds for these are more common.

1/2 in 1/2 out ?
IDK.
but that's what everyone says.
I jammed mine into the rad then backed it up about a half inch, but my engine is strapped in, so it can't move much in any direction. If I hit something more than a tap, the rad and the fan will be best-buddies; Those 68 Barracuda bumpers are just for looks.
So far /so good.

I was just out poking around under the hood of the 84 D-100 that I inherited from my aggressive-driving, former-teenage, son. It has a smog era 318/904/3.55s . It does not have a shroud and only has a 5-blade steel fan. It survived my son, I'd guess 8 to 10 years. It looks to have a lil wider than 22" rad tho

Last edited:
-
Back