Federal vs Saginaw power steering question

-

Woodsman341

Reaction score
I have a Dart Sport that was originally a /6, swapped to a 360. The current pump is a Federal and showing its age. I have a Saginaw I pulled from a /6 Valiant, and I know that actual 360 cars in '75 had the Saginaw style. I know the brackets are different, but I'm wondering if I swap the Saginaw in, will it work alright? I'm almost 100% positive it's the original steering gear box, but have no way of knowing.

If it will work, anyone have a source for the correct brackets?

Editing to add: I need to rebuild one of them, and would prefer the Saginaw if possible.

As always, thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Saginaw for the win,
If you are like me, every fall when the wetfreezing snow comes down, I like to do big figure-eights on parking lots, and tiny ones in the middle of the road. But no Federal I had, could keep up. Whereas the first Saginaw I bolted on was an instant winner. Now I can do Figure eights anywhere/any time. and
In over 20 years, that old Saginaw has never failed me.
I was enamored of the Federals for their roller squeezers, so I tried two of them, but no luck with either.
Apparently my desire for the Federals was misguided, as proven by the now almost 57yo Saginaw still happily keeping up.

Last edited:
the saginaw will work just fine. you'll need to hunt down the brackets in the wild as i don't believe they're repopped. the hoses should be available-- lo pressure return is no biggie, but the hi-pressure supply will either need a new hose or an adapter.

Saginaw for the win,
If you are like me, every fall when the wetfreezing snow comes down, I like to do big figure-eights on parking lots, and tiny ones in the middle of the road. But no Federal I had, could keep up. Whereas the first Saginaw I bolted on was an instant winner. Now I can do Figure eights anywhere/any time. and
In over 20 years, that old Saginaw has never failed me.
I was enamored of the Federals for their roller squeezers, so I tried two of them, but no luck with either.
Apparently my desire for the Federals was misguided, as proven by the now almost 57yo Saginaw still happily keeping up.

Thanks! That's kind of what I thought. Now to locate a mounting bracket.

Thanks again!

the saginaw will work just fine. you'll need to hunt down the brackets in the wild as i don't believe they're repopped. the hoses should be available-- lo pressure return is no biggie, but the hi-pressure supply will either need a new hose or an adapter.

Thanks! Yeah, I think the high pressure hoses are on RockAuto. But the low pressure return, is that fuel hose? Or is it some other thing more resistant to power steering fluid?

Thanks! Yeah, I think the high pressure hoses are on RockAuto. But the low pressure return, is that fuel hose? Or is it some other thing more resistant to power steering fluid?
haw! i was just looking-- and yeah, they're avail.

correct, you'll need something more substantial than fuel hose for the return. i'm sure people do run like EFI hose or whatever, but i wouldn't.

-
Back