Fenderwell cutting templates !

-

SS Lancer

Reaction score
Greetings installing fenderwell hedders on my 66 Valiant does anyone have cutting templates for sale ?
thanks Chris

Last edited:
Which headers are you installing? That makes a big difference.

20190221_151420.jpg

20190221_152337.jpg

20190221_152343.jpg

Thu'ELL?? You bought these new and they don't come with them?

:eek: I just had a flashback!!! :BangHead: Back in the day, I had 2 or 3 different 64-65 Barracudas, and a Valiant drag car. The only way I had to cut those holes was with a cold chisel and a BFH. I'm right handed...and my knuckle where my left index finger meets my hand will get a twinge when I think about missing the chisel while beating the hole in the fenderwell.....and hitting my hand holding the chisel. I'm getting out of this recliner right now, and going out to the garage to hug my brand new box of Dougs Headers for my current 65 Barracuda! LOL!

:rofl:

What front tire you running? I think my 205-70R14's rubbed when I had a similar header with the collectors in the well. trick is to cut small and then make corrections as you lower them in. After said and done with clearance, make a form cut plate that covers you jagged hole and pop rivet or Dzus fasten it.

Greetings installing fenderwell hedders on my 66 Valiant does anyone have cutting templates for sale ?
thanks Chris
I have never installed fenderwell headers, but since I am experienced with major automobile surgery, I feel able to comment.
What front tire you running? I think my 205-70R14's rubbed when I had a similar header with the collectors in the well. trick is to cut small and then make corrections as you lower them in. After said and done with clearance, make a form cut plate that covers you jagged hole and pop rivet or Dzus fasten it.
I totally agree with cut small. In fact I would say measure twice, Think twice, picture in your mind twice then cut small. You should be able to lay the headers on top of the fenders with the flanges directly above where they will attach to get an idea of about where the hole will need to be whan measuring back from the core support. Same with the approximate vertical hole measurement. I'd hold the headers in front of the car, eyeball the approximate angle where the flange would fit against the head and approximate haw far down from the flange to start cutting the small hole. Then slowly but surely whittle on the hole. That's how I would do it.

I have never installed fenderwell headers, but since I am experienced with major automobile surgery, I feel able to comment.

I totally agree with cut small. In fact I would say measure twice, Think twice, picture in your mind twice then cut small. You should be able to lay the headers on top of the fenders with the flanges directly above where they will attach to get an idea of about where the hole will need to be whan measuring back from the core support. Same with the approximate vertical hole measurement. I'd hold the headers in front of the car, eyeball the approximate angle where the flange would fit against the head and approximate haw far down from the flange to start cutting the small hole. Then slowly but surely whittle on the hole. That's how I would do it.
Thank you Sir

I'm with JDMopar, I cringe because of the thoughts of a chisel & BFH to cut sheet metal. I put a set of BBM fenderwell headers in a 64 Plymouth back in the day. I don't think templates even existed back then. I know I ended up cutting Aluminum plates pictured in post #10 to cover some of my mistakes.

When I installed Cyclone fenderwell headers in a '65 A Body (circa 1973) they came with templates. However, when I cut the first template, I used the driver side on the passenger side and the hole was bigger than necessary. My mistake.

The template that come in the Hookers make you cut a huge hole, IIRC the passenger side was from shock brace to firewall. . Those you literally had to screw in.

When I installed Cyclone fenderwell headers in a '65 A Body (circa 1973) they came with templates. However, when I cut the first template, I used the driver side on the passenger side and the hole was bigger than necessary. My mistake.
Measure 65 times cut once
I will work my way thru it !!!
Kinda like opening a bra
For the first time
Hee
Hee
You just figure it out as u go !

When I bought my 1 7/8 Headmans, they told me to start at the firewall and cut everything out to the shock tower. I started out small and kept getting bigger till they dropped in.
1017091242.jpg

I ended up making the extra clearance so I could drop the headers in without scraping the paint off. Even at that size hole there was just enough clearance with the way they had to be turned and twisted to drop in. Are yours the 1 7/8 tubes with the 3 1/2 collectors? Oh and I forgot I had to notch the shock towers were the #3 and 4 tubes go over the shock studs and curve down and cut out some of the metal between the rocker panels and frame at the bottom of the fender and wheel well for collector clearance.

thanks Chris
I have that picture of the template, let me find it

-
Back