Fiber thrust washer

-

tuckfxs

Reaction score
So a question a likely already know the answer to. Just got to the point in my rebuild of the original 67 A904 from the Barracuda. I failed to check my end play before disassembly. Checking it now after reassembly I have 0.110". Service manual says specs are between 0.022" and 0.091". I measured the fiber thrust washer between the input and output shafts while apart at 0.065". The kit I bought for rebuild did not come with a new thrust washer. Transmissionpartsusa.com has available a 0.068" and 0.083". I just need someone else to tell me for sure I'm a DA and have to pull the front gear train again for a $1.34 part to get it into spec and not tear up a fresh rebuild. SMH...

I won't tell you that.
LOL. My words not yours. The washers under the planetary gears looked pretty good with just normal wear but if I am going back in I guess I should spring for an entire set. Is transmissionpartsusa a good source because Rockauto is good for a lot of things but apparently not auto transmission rebuild kits.

I check/set the endplay before the VB goes on. With the trans vertical and the output shaft free-hanging you can lever up the sunshell with a dial-indicator on the input.
I'm measuring with the dial indicator clamped to the bell housing with it flat on it's back. Push input all the way in, zero, pull out. Just by feel it seems like a lot and as you can see measuring 0.020 over max. Guess of I didn't have to do it at least twice I wouldn't learn anything.

So the thrust washer set from transmissionpartsusa says it is for 72 forward. Anyone used this set or have any idea whether it will fit my 67 as well. Picture looks right but have learned not to trust internet sales pics.
TF6 A904 A998 A999 Transmission Thrust Washers TF6 A904 A998 A999

Just go to your local Transmission supply place and get it there !! I always without fail buy a bushing kit and washer kit when I do a rebuild ! The bushing hold up your gear train like it needs to be !! New washers help with proper spacing everything!! Good luck Sir

Did u re install the small fiber washer on the rear output shaft by the snap ring? Kim
Yep. i also remembered the larger fiber one on the back of the oil pump. I think this being my first time doing this I underestimated the wear on the thrust washers in general and the whole thing is just sloppy. I ordered a complete thrust washer set last night.

So I received the 1960 - 1977 A904 thrust washer set from transmissionpartsusa. Not one single thrust washer in the set matches anything that is in my 1967 transmission. I have verified the numbers on the casing as 67 numbers. So either someone has exchanged guts or this thrust washer kit is wrong. Anyone have this happen to them?

Just to give an update. Transmissionpartsusa is not someone I would recommend anyone use. I tried to call them and no answer. Left voice mails and no response. Emailed them and got a response the same day. The person who responded had no first hand knowledge of what they sold me. She told me she would contact their supplier with the information I gave in the email on the dimensions and descriptions of my thrust washers. That was 12 days ago. I have emailed them three times since requesting a return authorization and refund and now they will not reply.

On a bright note I found A&Reds based off some posts on this forum. I called and spoke with Frank at the Witchita location. He is extremely knowledgable and helpful. He knew exactly what I was talking about, where I was talking about and the differences in the thrust washers between the various years of production. He even pulled the parts and measured them over the phone with me and verified the dimensions before shipping them. Shipping them for half the price of the kit I bought from transmissionpartsusa. I cannot endorse A&Reds strongly enough if you need automatic transmission help. Especially if you are not a professional like me.

Transmission is back together and ready for reinstall. Thanks for all the replies.

A good example for all those guys who want to start ordering parts before they even have their trans apart; always a sure sign of the newbie. But in your case, I think they sold you parts for a different type of trans.

A good example for all those guys who want to start ordering parts before they even have their trans apart; always a sure sign of the newbie. But in your case, I think they sold you parts for a different type of trans.
Well it certainly was a comedy of errors on my part as his was my first attempt at an automatic. But that has been the case with every new project for the last four decades. Nothing ever goes as planned, I always need more parts than I thought, and it generally takes three times as long as expected. At this stage in life I have just accepted it as my learning process ‍♂️. I will never forget how this dang thing comes apart or goes together that is for sure.

More than anything I wanted to make a plug for A&Reds and specifically for Frank for being an awesome person to deal with.

-
Back