Fibreglass Bumper Brackets

-

Nice69

Reaction score
I know there is another thread running on aluminum brackets, but I didn't want to highjack it and from what I hear I can't afford them on my budget. After paying for the bodywork and stroker motor, my line of credit is hurtin bad:cry:. My car weighs 3335# with me and this is just one chapter in my weight loss plan. (started at 3460# last year)I decided to fab my own homegrown glass brackets, and I must say that despite the mess and frustration of working with glass I am happy with the results. I was able to take over 12 lbs right off the front of the car right where it counts. And lets face it, that glass bumper is strictly show anyway, so why have steel brackets behind it? Heres'some pics. Now for those heavy gauge inner fenders the body shop welded in, out comes the plasma cutter!:toothy10:
:burnout:

Attachments

• Copy of Outer in progress.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 279
  • Copy of Inners.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 310
  • Copy of In progress.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 289
  • Copy of Brackets on bumper.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 311
  • Copy of Outers.jpg
    179.8 KB · Views: 301
  • Copy of Total weight.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 302
  • Copy of Weighing.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 315
  • Copy of Back on car.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 305
  • Copy of Weight.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 289
Nice work Dave!Thats it,next time we race,I,m removing my front bumper and brackets.LOL,should be an easy 100lbs with brackets.:tongue9:

That's nice. I never understood the aluminum brackets, myself, if you're running a 'glass bumper. I mean, fiberglass is obviously lighter.

I must give credit where credit is due, I saw the fibreglass idea on FABO, but wanted the aluminum brackets. I felt the aluminum would be sweet looking but then realized I didn't want to wait or spend the $$. Thanks for the idea Purple Haze:cheers: yours I think turned out better/stronger than mine. If I do another set I'll use matt in between the layers of cloth. If anyone is considering this fab be very careful not to rip the tin foil when wrapping your steel brackets, as the resin will leak through and stick:banghead:

I just got done taking my front bumper of my 73 dart sport and weighed it...75lbs with bumperetts and 68 lbs with out! I am putting on an AAR fiberglass bumperthat weighs about 5 lbs (painted) then I took my brackets ( just the outersides ) and took a plasma cutter and took them down to a skeleton of there former selfs. The brackets combined weigh in at 4.2 lbs. So with bumper bolts, license plate, bumper and brackets I am putting about 10 lbs back on! Thats a total of 65 lbs off the beak of my wreck! Also I took the inner brace ( crash bar ) from behind the rear bumper off and that weighed 20 lbs. and rear bumperettes were another 7 lbs!

-
Back