Filling chrome emblems

-
Reaction score
I am getting ready to have my car repainted and I asked the guy to give me the chrome fender emblems for my 65 cuda as hes prepping the car so that I can give them a polish and refill the black paint that runs along the center of the text. Does anybody have any tips about doing this? type of paint to use? I was thinking about maybe using hobby paint with a little thinner in it with a syringe?

I am getting ready to have my car repainted and I asked the guy to give me the chrome fender emblems for my 65 cuda as hes prepping the car so that I can give them a polish and refill the black paint that runs along the center of the text. Does anybody have any tips about doing this? type of paint to use? I was thinking about maybe using hobby paint with a little thinner in it with a syringe?

When I "Incorrectly" did my 69 Barracuda front fender emblems in the mid 80's.

I used some off the shelf semi-gloss black spray paint and just got the SOS pads out to clean off the excess. Pretty simple to do with some patience!

Only for me, I later learned while doing resto that 1969 Barracuda Script should be plain! It was just as easy to remove it all!

Good luck!

I've repainted a few different badges. For some of them, cleaning all the old wax, etc.. from tight spots was the hardest part. Brake cleaner and toothpicks. Testors model enamel, small droplets applied and pushed around with a toothpick or a shirt pin. If I do put in too much or not happy, brake cleaner or charcoal lighter fluid on a Q-tip takes me back to try again. I can lay the paint thick as I want. It levels and looks fine when dry.
My repaint of the 67 Commando badges looks heck of a lot better than what you'll see here...
1966-67 Plymouth Commando V8 Fender Emblem Repro | eBay

I've repainted a few different badges. For some of them, cleaning all the old wax, etc.. from tight spots was the hardest part. Brake cleaner and toothpicks. Testors model enamel, small droplets applied and pushed around with a toothpick or a shirt pin. If I do put in too much or not happy, brake cleaner or charcoal lighter fluid on a Q-tip takes me back to try again. I can lay the paint thick as I want. It levels and looks fine when dry.
My repaint of the 67 Commando badges looks heck of a lot better than what you'll see here...
Thanks fish! The toothpick method seems like the way to go!

I did fish's method here and Im happy with it. I used a #50 drill bit with the back end ground to a point on the belt sander and it worked great. I amended my method as I went along, I got better results actually being a little sloppy. just make sure you get paint in there and let it flow before it starts to set. if it starts to set at all and you're still trying to push paint around with the toothpick you'll get ruts in the paint, and it happens quicker than you might expect. you can see that a little bit in the "L" in the Plymouth lettering which i'll fill in later. Any paint that runs up the sides or over the top of the emblem comes right off with a flattened folded up paper towel wetted with lacquer thinner. a q-tip with lacker thinner also does nicely to clean up small spots. Thanks for the help!

20211222_073818.jpeg

I’ve used the touch up pens from any auto store and it works really well. The applicator tip is very fine and paint will flow out and make old emblems new again.

55BDF55D-C4D9-40B6-BC71-3E59FF30F278.jpeg

I cleaned and polished the Swinger emblems, then masked the flower petals so I wouldn't get too much paint build up in the flower. Stuck the emblems on a cardboard box, then sprayed the whole things with black rattle can. Came back with Laquer thinner on a rag and carefully wiped off the chrome. Then painted the flowers by putting drops in each petal with a brush and letting it flow out and self level. I think they turned out pretty good.
EDIT- I used Testor's Gloss Yellow #1114-RM11141_0611

emblems.jpg

Last edited:
-
Back