Filter attached to output side of pump?

-

73Scamp318

Reaction score
Is there any reason in particular I wouldn't want to place a filter right after an electric pump? I have a Holley 175 GPH 40 micron filter on the way and I want to attach it directly to the output side of my Mallory 140 pump.

Right now, I have a Summit branded filter between the regulator and carb, which is supposed to flow 130 GPH, but it has a disc-type filter that seems to plug up all the time and might be a restriction. I'd like to put the filter right after the pump at the back of the car, where the temps are much cooler.

Any thoughts?

Nothing says you can't but you won't be protecting your pump at all if its on the upstream side. Plus you would have two filiters - both on the upstream side.

Nothing says you can't but you won't be protecting your pump at all if its on the upstream side. Plus you would have two filiters - both on the upstream side.

I should clarify...I'll be removing the Summit filter by the carb and installing the new filter on the output side of the pump at the back of the car. The new filter will be taking the place of the old one, it'll just be further back on the car.

You really should have a filter before and after the pump.

Attachments

• P7110053.JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 184
There is a filter between the tank and the pump, as well as one between the pump and carb.

I'll just rephrase the question.

Does it matter where I put the filter between the fuel pump and carburetor? Is there any reason I need to put it close to the carb at the front of the car or can I put it right next to the pump at the rear of the car?

I'd be careful putting a filter before the pump. You want to find a fairly "loose" filter, one that will protect the pump, but not fine enough / restrictive enough to put a backkup on the pump. The suction side, being low pressure, (atmospheric) is much more sensitive to filter back pressure. All filters have some, and the dirtier they get, the more they will have.

Traditionally, cars never had filters before the pump

A fuel injection filter works well as a pre filter for an electric pump. They have almost zero restriction and you can get them with popular size female inverted flare connections such as 5/16 and 3/8. That's what I plan to use as a pre filter.

You say your filter plugs up a lot?? with what, rust ?? If so I'd consider replacing the fuel tank. You should not have a filter plugging up as often as you say. You need to get to the source of the problem.

There is a filter between the tank and the pump, as well as one between the pump and carb.

I'll just rephrase the question.

Does it matter where I put the filter between the fuel pump and carburetor? Is there any reason I need to put it close to the carb at the front of the car or can I put it right next to the pump at the rear of the car?

Your answer is no.

If your after pump filter is plugging like that then you definitely need one before the pump before it gets trashed - plus you need to figure out what is causing the plugging.

Your answer is no.

Thank you for answering my question. :icon_smi:

The filter before the pump is a 100 micron screen, which shows no signs of plugging.

The reason I'm doing this is the carb filter that is currently on the car has a disc-type element that is about 1" across with very little surface area and just putting clean gas through it seems to be restricting flow.
318J6593XHL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The new filter has at least 10 times more surface area and should be less restrictive.
medium162-566.jpg

Thanks for everyone's input.

-
Back