FINALLY GOT IT BACK!

-

bballfan1

Reaction score
As a 12 year old boy, I watched my dads 1971 340 duster come off of the truck. It was driven across the parking lot, immediately had wheels and tires, exhaust etc. removed for racing. I grew up with the car, going to the track every weekend. I last drove it myself around 1982.

Car was in my possession, sitting in my barn until 10 years ago. As life would have it, I was raising a family, and my dad ended up selling it to one of our close family friends. Well I finally figured out a way to get it back!

What it is. a 1971 340 four speed ev2 Duster. The car has never been registered, or titled, or street driven! It has 462 original miles!

The car has sat since 82. When my dad was tired of breaking stuff, and decided to put a Dana rear in it, and tub it.......it has sat since. Car is almost all original paint, except where the wheel wells were work on for the tubs. Original v24 hood is in great shape. It will be heading to the body shop next week.

What I do have: fender tag, original window sticker, all of the original interior, (back seat has never been sat in) the original tires and wheels (with 2 miles on them) I have a 1971 Hemi four speed, and an over the counter no vin number 340.

What I do not have: original engine or trans
The process of getting it back together begins..........48 years later!

duster1.jpg

thats awesome....great story....some pics would be great...462 original miles! thats amazing!

As a 12 year old boy, I watched my dads 1971 340 duster come off of the truck. It was driven across the parking lot, immediately had wheels and tires, exhaust etc. removed for racing. I grew up with the car, going to the track every weekend. I last drove it myself around 1982.

Car was in my possession, sitting in my barn until 10 years ago. As life would have it, I was raising a family, and my dad ended up selling it to one of our close family friends. Well I finally figured out a way to get it back!

What it is. a 1971 340 four speed ev2 Duster. The car has never been registered, or titled, or street driven! It has 462 original miles!

The car has sat since 82. When my dad was tired of breaking stuff, and decided to put a Dana rear in it, and tub it.......it has sat since. Car is almost all original paint, except where the wheel wells were work on for the tubs. Original v24 hood is in great shape. It will be heading to the body shop next week.

What I do have: fender tag, original window sticker, all of the original interior, (back seat has never been sat in) the original tires and wheels (with 2 miles on them) I have a 1971 Hemi four speed, and an over the counter no vin number 340.

What I do not have: original engine or trans
The process of getting it back together begins..........48 years later!

View attachment 1715406815
462 miles has got to be the lowest mileage a body in existence

thats awesome....imagine if you still had numbers matching 340 and trans for it....did your dad blow the original motor up?

Not really sure about original engine. My dad built an engine for the 1971 US nationals, and he put that in about August of 71. I asked him about it a few years ago, and he said it was long gone.........needless to say I have been searching hard for any leads to original stuff.

well if there is a 340 around stamped with "1B408129" on the passenger side flat ID pad just above the oil pan rail , it is your original motor.....you never know...maybe someone has it

Last edited:
I have seen the car in person a couple months ago, I can attest that it is very cool! I took quite a few pictures of the paint where they masked off for the black for future reference! Glad to see it back in your hands!

Keep in touch like to see the how progress is going, I will go back to that cruise in the spring if they have it. Met quite a few cool mopar people there good times

Thanks Jim I will be picking your brain along the way! I am glad you could see the car in person!

I have seen the car in person a couple months ago, I can attest that it is very cool! I took quite a few pictures of the paint where they masked off for the black for future reference! Glad to see it back in your hands!

I would love too see some of those pics, great restoration reference material!

Congratulations, that is some awesome car, of course probably the lowest mileage in existence for a 71 340 Duster and a V24 car with no radio! Late build like mine as well, 1972 bumpers, trunk rib and I am sure the engine would have been corporate blue!

Yes corporate blue. I have original bell housing clutch pressure plate that were all removed day one

-
Back