Finally got my 6.4 time slip :-D

-

flyfish

C8H18+N2O = :-D
Reaction score
Got ALL new bests Saturday with the GREAT air. I was hoping for a 6.48-6.49 since the previous best was 6.54....Well, it did 1.40 60', 6.48@ 104.8mph, 10.26@129.4mph right off the trailer. The car alway picks up on the second pass...and it did. Second pass was 1.39 60', 6.44@105.9mph, 10.20@130.5mph! All new bests!

First round I cut a bad light, but ran the number (10.209 on a 10.20 dial).
Second round I cut another bad light and miss judged the stripe, hit brake and ran a 10.203 on a 10.19 dial...I should have trusted the car, because the incrementals show it was going to run 10.19...but it did have another new best in 60' with a 1.38.

Recap on the motor/car:

Stroked small block, 408cubes, ported Edelbrocks, Hughes solid cam (264/268 duration), my home built 750 e85 carb (built by me), 727 with 8” converter, 4.10 gears, 275/60 Hoosier drag radials, 3250 lbs (with driver) Barracuda.

TL;DR, the car beat its previous best 1/8 mile by a tenth and its ¼ mile by almost 2 tenths! New bests are 1.38 60’, 6.44 @ 105.9mph 1/8 mile, 10.19 @ 130.5mph....and the driver needs work, lol.

Last edited:
Here are the slips (I am B410):

IMG_5234.JPG

IMG_5235.JPG

IMG_5236.JPG

IMG_5237.JPG

I forgot to mention, there is more left in it. This was done with my bracket racing carb (very crispy and consistent). I have a bigger carb that I have not worked the bugs out of yet (950dp) that consistently is almost 1 mph faster in the 1/8....problem is it occasionally has a hesitation off the line, so I don't trust it for bracket racing yet. I think there is a realistic chance that it could touch the 6.39999's with that carb in similar air. I'll have to wait and see.:)

Wow that's awesome. Congratulations on the new bests. Sorry if I missed it, but what compression are you running? I am wanting to switch my dakota over to E85 but at only 11.1. I don't know if that's enough compression to justify to cost from switching from 93 pump gas to E85.

Wow that's awesome. Congratulations on the new bests. Sorry if I missed it, but what compression are you running? I am wanting to switch my dakota over to E85 but at only 11.1. I don't know if that's enough compression to justify to cost from switching from 93 pump gas to E85.

if you race it a lot, probably well worth it. More repeatable, run cooler too.

Hell yeah man! I've always liked your car and your attitude with racin. Congrats man!

Nice... solid 60' there!

Great runs and congrats on the new best.

Congrats on your best! Like the others have said, that's really haulin' the bacon!
I'm watching with interest here...very similar build as my 72 Demon. I've got about 10-12 deg less cam and an 850 dp Holley at 10.5 CR. Weight TBD but maybe 100 #'s heavier. 8" ATI Treemaster. I'll be slower...question is how much!!

This motor is 13:1. I decided to lean into the e85 a little when I built it, since it can handle more compression. The previous motor I built was only 10.8:1 and started out as a premium pump gas motor, but when I converted it over to e85 it picked up a tenth if I recall correctly (might be 1.5 tenths....I don't remember).

Very nice. Congratulations on the new bests. It’s about time we get some nice racing weather after all the 90
Degree plus weather this year.

Very nice. Congratulations on the new bests. It’s about time we get some nice racing weather after all the 90
Degree plus weather this year.
Seriously, we have had some hot ones this year. Oddly enough, this was the first really good air this motor has seen...and I built it in 2018, lol.

Seriously, we have had some hot ones this year. Oddly enough, this was the first really good air this motor has seen...and I built it in 2018, lol.

When I bumped Matt out of my Duster I knew I had to step up and get in better shape so I started daily walks working up to almost 3 miles. Attending several 3 day big dollar races I bought a portable air conditioner for my motorhome after my roof air quit. It would get 94-96 degrees inside and between rounds I had to cool off and stay rested. Zero alcohol so I could stay hydrated all weekend and early to bed for the 7-8am starts.

Congrats on your best! Like the others have said, that's really haulin' the bacon!
I'm watching with interest here...very similar build as my 72 Demon. I've got about 10-12 deg less cam and an 850 dp Holley at 10.5 CR. Weight TBD but maybe 100 #'s heavier. 8" ATI Treemaster. I'll be slower...question is how much!!
Best of luck with your build. If it helps, my previous motor (same heads just less compression, smaller solid roller) was 10.8:1 with a 248/254 solid roller. That one ran 10.7's most of the time, with a best of 10.57 on a cold night with a 20mph tail wind, lol.

Last edited:
Best of luck with your build. If it helps, my previous motor (same heads just less compression, smaller solid roller) was 10.8:1 with a 248/254 solid roller. That one ran 10.7's most of the time, with a best of 10.57 on a cold night with a 20mph wind, lol.
Thx for that! This is a 251/256 SFT cam (Bullett) w/roughly .560 lift and ported Eddy's. We'll see next spring but thx for the insight!

-
Back