Finally grabbed a grinder again yesterday

-

pittsburghracer

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Worked for about three hours straight in a 83 degree shop wearing my porting jumpsuit yesterday afternoon. Felt pretty good to hit it hard again and I got the 4 exhaust ports roughed in and started to lay back Herman’s forehead on the exhaust and got two intake ports roughed in. I wanted to hit it again but I’m leaving for a three day race tomorrow so I had to get loaded up. Man the humidity was a killer today.

IMG_3491.jpeg

IMG_3490.jpeg

IMG_3489.jpeg

IMG_3488.jpeg

IMG_3487.jpeg

IMG_3486.jpeg

IMG_3482.jpeg

Great work like always. Looks sweet. It was so hot here in South Louisiana my shirt was glued to me.
I am going to try some tech shirts I have made by Red Kap. I was trying to keep them nice but. Most of my work has been outside. Don't know if they will be better but can't see them being worse.

Great work like always. Looks sweet. It was so hot here in South Louisiana my shirt was glued to me.
I am going to try some tech shirts I have made by Red Kap. I was trying to keep them nice but. Most of my work has been outside. Don't know if they will be better but can't see them being worse.
Yep up North here in Arkansas my wife has had to peel my shirts off of me the last few days when I come inside. It has been wet out there and it ain’t raining!

John, Is your garage insulated ? Why not air condition a part of it where you do that head work and stay in there and work ? I'll bet it will be so nice in there you won't want to come out into the heat ! Get more done = make more money !

John, Is your garage insulated ? Why not air condition a part of it where you do that head work and stay in there and work ? I'll bet it will be so nice in there you won't want to come out into the heat ! Get more done = make more money !

My 36-28 shop is block foundation then framed and insulated. Heat wise a gas wall radiant heater does a beautiful job and I could keep it over 80 if I wanted to. At 68 air conditioning my shop is out of the question. My house has whole house air so if it’s miserable I head there. I really don’t want porting work during the summer but a couple jobs put me behind this year with part’s availability. I’m turning down or delaying 1-2 jobs a week now so hopefully I can catch up on some of my projects.

Why not partition off an area and put a ductless unit in the wall. That way you would have a comfortable area to work. I did it in what I call my storage area, when it scotching outside I retreat to there and find something to do there.

Why not partition off an area and put a ductless unit in the wall. That way you would have a comfortable area to work. I did it in what I call my storage area, when it scotching outside I retreat to there and find something to do there.

I covered this area pretty good but I’ll add a few things. One thing I found out working in a steel mill is you have to condition yourself to heat so you can handle heat. At 68 years old if I didn’t expose myself to heat at home how am I going to go to the races and be in it for 2-3-4 days straight. Standing on black asphalt even on a 85 degree day takes conditioning especially as we get older. Climbing in a race car with a 3 layer suit on doesn’t make it any easier. Now cold makes my bones hurt more than they already do. Radiant heat in the winter feels great.

Yep up North here in Arkansas my wife has had to peel my shirts off of me the last few days when I come inside. It has been wet out there and it ain’t raining!

Finished hooking up the motorhome to the car trailer and it’s even worse than yesterday. That was a wasted shower. Lol

IMG_3494.png

I covered this area pretty good but I’ll add a few things. One thing I found out working in a steel mill is you have to condition yourself to heat so you can handle heat. At 68 years old if I didn’t expose myself to heat at home how am I going to go to the races and be in it for 2-3-4 days straight. Standing on black asphalt even on a 85 degree day takes conditioning especially as we get older. Climbing in a race car with a 3 layer suit on doesn’t make it any easier. Now cold makes my bones hurt more than they already do. Radiant heat in the winter feels great.
Man is that ever true, my wife often gets on me for farming in the heat. But exactly as John so eloquently said if I don’t expose myself to it and develop a tolerance I simply cannot make two or three days standing out on the gravel at some range teaching students not to shoot themselves. The only way I know to build up that immunity is to submit myself to the heat! Well and hydrate of course. Foot note: Qore technologies makes a great ice pack that fits under our body armor and contours to the body. John, it is only good for about four hours per ice pak. Then you swap in your backup. I have never thought about wearing it at the race track? I can post pix if any one is interested. It has its own skimpy carrier that can be worn under anything. It is a game changer for those of us that hang out all day in battle rattle!

It ain't no worse than desert heat, maybe you need some local conditioning at 29 Palms. Probably a buck twenty there. lol
At least stateside we raise the black flag. lol
Ok that is funny right there. I got more days and nights sleeping in the sand at 29 palms than I care to admit. And I was much younger then. Hah!
For the record we call it…..Stumps
If ya know ya know!

Ok that is funny right there. I got more days and nights sleeping in the sand at 29 palms than I care to admit. And I was much younger then. Hah!
For the record we call it…..Stumps
If ya know ya know!
Yea it was a fun place to blow up ****. :D

Man is that ever true, my wife often gets on me for farming in the heat. But exactly as John so eloquently said if I don’t expose myself to it and develop a tolerance I simply cannot make two or three days standing out on the gravel at some range teaching students not to shoot themselves. The only way I know to build up that immunity is to submit myself to the heat! Well and hydrate of course. Foot note: Qore technologies makes a great ice pack that fits under our body armor and contours to the body. John, it is only good for about four hours per ice pak. Then you swap in your backup. I have never thought about wearing it at the race track? I can post pix if any one is interested. It has its own skimpy carrier that can be worn under anything. It is a game changer for those of us that hang out all day in battle rattle!

I actually looked at the cool vest on Amazon the other day. They said four hours but many guys in the reviews said one hour. I used to laugh at my son when he was in his 20’s. Three days straight of anything we do in this heat young or old are affected. More so now though. My big problem is when I was walking 3-5 miles a day 5-6 days a week I tried to wear long pants to adapt. Now my knees don’t permit me to walk.

I know what you're feeling I am also 68 soon to be 69. My best days come in at 60 to 70 degrees. Knees hurt hands hurt like hell back makes me sit a lot. So, I do everything slow and steady, But I get it done. I've been working on my 66 Barracuda for 3 years and its almost done. I can't wait to take it out for its first run down the road.

Finished hooking up the motorhome to the car trailer and it’s even worse than yesterday. That was a wasted shower. Lol

View attachment 1716272091
That humidity is the killer. In '98 we went to Bonneville, and I never was a heat person. Out on the salt it was 105°F and no shade other than competitors tents. Dry as a popcorn farther in a sand storm.
There is an ice cream truck driving around the pits selling quarts of water. That year being the 50th, there was onrow of pits 1 mile long, one 3/4 mile, and one 1/2 mile. After walking the one mile and looking into the pits, you were thirsty, so a quart of water. Never got wet though as the sweat evaporated as quick as it came out of you.
Before leaving I had cleaned out 4 - 4 liter plastic milk jugs (a little more than a gallon). At night I got ice from the ice machine down the hall and pushed it into the jugs. Kept them in the cooler overnight. Then we had cold water back at the '41 Ford truck all day. Saved on buying water.
Of course the ice machines are MT by 6AM from the competitors heading out earlier.

-
Back