FINALLY; it runs with some authortity!!!!

-

Bill Dedman

bill dedman
Legendary Member
Reaction score
We (Freddie and myself) have been working on this turbocharged slant six for way longer than we ever thought it would take us to finish the project, and today, that waiting finally paid off, to some extent, at least.

After nearly four years of sweating the multitudinous details, waiting for this and that, changing horses in midstream and trying SO hard to avoid detonation at all costs, we made some shims, installed them at the bottom of the waste gate spring, richened up the carb two jet-sizes, put some pure methanol in the Boostcooler reservoir and 8 gallons of 110 octane in the fuel cell and took her for a spin.

We had done all that before minus the waste gate adjustment, but boy oh boy... she LIKES 15 pounds of boost!!!

Fred was driving, and when he floored the throttle after getting straight on the Interstate at about 35mph in 2nd gear, this thing responded in a way he was not ready for: It started spinning both rear wheels, generating a lot of tire smoke in the process, and tried hard to swap ends.... almost getting it done. He let off the throttle just in time to avoid a rollover and scared the sh*t out of his passenger (me)... and it took a couple of minutes to get the acrid smell of burning rummer out of the cabin...

That was with street tires...

We decided after that episode, not to take it out without the slicks installed, in the interest of safety.

That was fifteen pounds of boost... has me wondering what 20 will do...

Thanks for all the encouragement and kind words you guys have laid on me over this past 4 years; today made all the waiting worth while!!!

Can't WAIT until the strip opens to see what kind of problems await us in trying to hook this thing up! Gonna be fun, for sure....:blob:

Bill, tire spin at blvd/freeway speeds,is a good thing! Used to Hi compression Rats,to do this.Hearing a /6 do this,makes me smile.

Bill, tire spin at blvd/freeway speeds,is a good thing! Used to Hi compression Rats,to do this.Hearing a /6 do this,makes me smile.
i hear that! i knew you guys would get it dialed in.right on bill.can't wait to see what kind of times it runs.get some video please.i love that car......

Wow.I would of loved to seen that !!!

Man,We need a video....
I just want to ride in that car
Congrats on getting her running.

Congratulations Bill and Freddie :cheers: to see this thead pop up sure made my day :colors:
You two veterans has been putting your hart and soul in this build and I have re-red a few of your posts with confidence that these two ol guns will get this dun in time :coffee2:
When the track open's and you and Freddie are ready to shake it down please pm me and let me know :glasses7:
To me and many this will be a history making day and I want to be there
for this great day of unknown expectations, and experience the day at the track.
Thank you for keeping us updated on this /6 turbo build threw out the years and looking forward to seeing you and Freddie again soon :cheers:

Wow, Again congratulations Bill and Freddie .

Great. On to the next step, getting the power to the ground. It would probably do great at high-speed, but few tracks for that. It would be neat on the Autobahn, passing high-end Euro sedans.

Outstanding!!! (and glad to hear you guys kept it shiny-side-up!!!)

Outstanding!!! (and glad to hear you guys kept it shiny-side-up!!!)

Well, it was touch-and-go-there ffor a few seconds... lol!

Thanks for all the kind comments and for your PATIENCE... jeeze, I thought we were never going to see any real power out of this thing...

We appreciate your support more than you know... all of you!:cheers:

Congratulations Bill and Freddie :cheers: to see this thead pop up sure made my day :colors:
You two veterans has been putting your hart and soul in this build and I have re-red a few of your posts with confidence that these two ol guns will get this dun in time :coffee2:
When the track open's and you and Freddie are ready to shake it down please pm me and let me know :glasses7:
To me and many this will be a history making day and I want to be there
for this great day of unknown expectations, and experience the day at the track.
Thank you for keeping us updated on this /6 turbo build threw out the years and looking forward to seeing you and Freddie again soon :cheers:

Wow, Again congratulations Bill and Freddie .

Thanks, Memike; you'll be the first to know when we take her to Centerville!

Now, you need to be accumulating parts to do this favor for Victoria; trust me; she'd love you for it!!!:cheers:

Congrats Bill. I hope you are able to get some videos of it running so we can all enjoy your car a little. As soon as the weather gets a little nicer I am going to start tearing into my slant. All the parts for the turbo have been sitting on my kitchen table for the past few months. Hopefully mine will be up and running in the next 6 months. Congrats again and I am glad things finally came together for you!

Nice job Bill! Sounds like fun and your efforts with Fred are really paying off. Keep it pointed straight!

Great job I just got on and was wondering how is Bill and Freddies build going i hope they get it started and POW a thread. CONGRATS! Make sure you two dont make the 6 news. Second hand Lions haha. Have fun.

Great job I just got on and was wondering how is Bill and Freddies build going i hope they get it started and POW a thread. CONGRATS! Make sure you two dont make the 6 news. Second hand Lions haha. Have fun.

New rule; no drivee without slicks!!!:glasses7:

. Hopefully mine will be up and running in the next 6 months. Congrats again and I am glad things finally came together for you!

Thanks for the kind words!!! They area appreciated!

One thing this little project has taught us: If you tjink it will take 6 months, it will probably take `12....

Then again, you may not be as old (slow) as we are; our combined age is 149... that's right; there's just two of us...:(

We (Freddie and myself) have been working on this turbocharged slant six for way longer than we ever thought it would take us to finish the project, and today, that waiting finally paid off, to some extent, at least.

After nearly four years of sweating the multitudinous details, waiting for this and that, changing horses in midstream and trying SO hard to avoid detonation at all costs, we made some shims, installed them at the bottom of the waste gate spring, richened up the carb two jet-sizes, put some pure methanol in the Boostcooler reservoir and 8 gallons of 110 octane in the fuel cell and took her for a spin.

We had done all that before minus the waste gate adjustment, but boy oh boy... she LIKES 15 pounds of boost!!!

Fred was driving, and when he floored the throttle after getting straight on the Interstate at about 35mph in 2nd gear, this thing responded in a way he was not ready for: It started spinning both rear wheels, generating a lot of tire smoke in the process, and tried hard to swap ends.... almost getting it done. He let off the throttle just in time to avoid a rollover and scared the sh*t out of his passenger (me)... and it took a couple of minutes to get the acrid smell of burning rummer out of the cabin...

That was with street tires...

We decided after that episode, not to take it out without the slicks installed, in the interest of safety.

That was fifteen pounds of boost... has me wondering what 20 will do...

Thanks for all the encouragement and kind words you guys have laid on me over this past 4 years; today made all the waiting worth while!!!

Can't WAIT until the strip opens to see what kind of problems await us in trying to hook this thing up! Gonna be fun, for sure....:blob:

Dude! That sounds like so much fun! Lol

Ive been waiting for this news Bill!!! I still want to build up a slant, speaking of which, I just got the 225 from my first car back for free.. I think it spun a rod bearing or something.

P.S. Wheres our video? Lol

I have uploaded a lot of pictures (stills) from my camera to the FABO site, no problem, but have never uploaded a video. Is the process similar? My same camera takes movies with sound, no problem.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Open a youtube.com account, upload the video and copy/past a link to it here. The quality is way better than using a photobucket account in my opinion. Plus the link can play right in your post with youtube.

-
Back