Finally met Da Man !!

-

383man

Reaction score
Went to York on Friday and finally got to meet Ronnie Sox ! Its great to meet your lifetime racing hero and find out he is a first class act. The man is fighting cancer but sat there for over 4 hrs talking and signing pics or shirts. He signed 2 of my Sox & Martin pics and a shirt for me. I even asked him about the 69 1/2 Road runner 440-6 car he tested at Cecil County Md in 1969 as I had to ask him if it was a ringer car. He said no way.....it was a stock well worked over car and he ran it hard. I cant say enough about this man. I had him sign a pic of him and Bill Jenkins racing that had Sox & Martin written on it and when we walked over to Bill Jenkins he signed it but would not shake my hand. Now I know why they call him the Grump. And then Saturday at Carlisle I saw Herb McCandless walking thru the show area and when I called out his name he stopped and talked with us for 10 minutes. All I can say is he is another first call act. Just as kind and cool as Mr Sox and he took time to talk about winning the 1970 Pro Stock at the US Nats. One great person as it really made my weekend meeting my 2 lifetime Mopar drag racing hero's! Oh and add on the fact that I also met Dean Sox (Ronnie's Son) and Dave Christie ( one of their mechanics) at York it was an awesome weekend as they were both great people also and I chatted with them for about 1/2 an hr. Dean Sox told me Ronnie will not be driving the 68 Cuda Bob Reed built for them that he Dean will most likely start driving it. I wish Ronnie the best and pray for him as I dont know if he realizes how happy he made this fan. And then I spent 2 days at Carlisle also. What a dream weekend for a Mopar nut like me. Ron

104029983.jpg

Many different people own them Mike. They said it was 14 of them and about 8 were actually the real Sox & Martin cars. The rest were clones of their cars but I dont think Ronnie or Buddy own any of them. Ron

383man said:
Its great to meet your lifetime racing hero and find out he is a first class act............
I dont know if he realizes how happy he made this fan..........
What a dream weekend for a Mopar nut like me. Ron

I felt the same way last March when Amy & me went out to Vegas for the Mopars at the Strip show. I spent almost the entire day hangin` with Bob Riggle. I still have digital pictures from my camcorder of me sitting in the Hemi Under Glass.

I just gotta figure out how to download them into this damn idiot box I'm staring at....:scratch:

Glad to hear you had a great weekend. Thanks for posting the pictures Ron! :thumleft:

I was there, too and met Mr. 4 Speed!! Really good guy. The stuff that was there was amazing!! I went through the whole thing and was about to leave when I noticed there was ANOTHER SIDE!!! Almost missed it!

Dave

Me and my dad went to the Hot Rod reunoin in Bowling Green last month,ronnie was there for the week-end. My dad had ronnie sign the air cleaner lid for his Hemi, They shot the breeze for a while, talking about Hemi stuff, really a nice guy. Mr. Sox even had the 68 cuda in the cackle fest. Gotta love those super stocks.

-
Back