finally redid my door panels

-

71dustar

Reaction score
i wanted to incorporate the aar stripe into my car. to open the doors the tip of the stripe rotates up. enjoy

IMG_2975.jpg

IMG_2972.jpg

IMG_2970.jpg

I just made my own int. panes well. Wow, those are totally cool. What mateial did you use?? Tell me all about how you made them, I'm real interested when people are making their own stuff.

all of the panels001.jpg

all of the panels002.jpg

all of the panels003.jpg

all of the panels004.jpg

all of the panels005.jpg

i used black suede from joans although when i wraped the stripe vs when i wrapped the actual door panel the material was different so the color is a little different.

I took a 2 2x4 and ran them along a plannar to make sure the sides were flat and then traced out the stripe that i wanted, then i clamped both 2x4 together and used a bandsaw to cut out my design and then sanded the pieces down. after that i cut the piece i think at a 60 degree angle. i glued some fabric padding on the blocks and then the suede. at each corner i had to baseball stitch the fabric together. then i used wood screw to secure them to the panel.

As for the handle, i took the rod and old handle mechanism off and took a 5/16 bolt, a rectangular piece of aluminum and washer/nuts. i had steel wire go from the bear claw to the aluminum piece which was sandwhiched between the bolt head and a nut. then the bolt went through the door with a groumet and was secured by another bolt. in order to make the tip of the handle swing to open the door, i had to drill and tap through the middle of the remaining bolt so once i put the door panel on the door i would slide the tip of the handle over the bolt. i had drilled a small hole on bottom of the block so i could use a machine bolt to fasten the block to the bolt. i can take pictures if anyone likes.

That's a novel idea and ingenious how you did it. Supercool. I'm sure you'll get a lot of positive comments wherever you go. Questions too.

why screws why not just do what factopry did and spray adhesive on it thats what im going to do.looks great either way right on man

I don't really care for them to much but you did a pretty good job on them. I DO like the fact you made the tip of the stripe the inside door handle, that'd cool. Anyway, not my cup of tea, but it was a cool idea.

Right on. I really like the way you did those. Great job man. Next time you do something like that let me know. I would like to see anything else you come up with.

-
Back