First 741 rebuild with pics of pattern

-

challenger57

cuda57
Reaction score
I finally got my in. lb. gauge and redid my rear. I made an adjustable depth gauge and bolted a plate across the carrier bearing mount holes. I got it to the exact measurement it called for 2.770 and got my rotating pinion to 25 in lb prior to install of the carrier. It called for a .006 backlash but the the wear pattern indicated I needed to reduce the backlash. The pic shown is with .002 backlash and a pic of the adjustable depth gauge I made. What do you think and is it ready for install.

Attachments

• 373 gears.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 233
  • depth gauge.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 232
What does the coast side look like? It looks like you have only painted the drive side of the gear.

Pinion's too deep. Backlash is the checking measurement. If you have the depth and preload right, the backlash will fall in perfect every time. If you have to go too tight, there's a problem. I'd lose .004" from the pinion and recheck. Also, 25 inch pounds rotating torque is with the seal in place. Without it should be closer to 15.

Both sides of the teeth are painted but the coast side only shows a slight touch. Moper you said the pinion is to deep and then said to lose .004. Don't you mean add .004? My dimension is 2.770, that would make it 2.774 or do you mean 2.766? Your right about the 25 in.lb, the seal is in place, didn't want to destroy it so I figured it was 15-20. Thanks

2.774, you want to move the pinion towards the yoke.

When you measured your depth, did you check the depth of the case carrier bearing race bore and make a suitable adjustment? They are not always 1/2 and 1/2 in case/cap. the pinion depth measurement is from the center of the carrier bore.

With where you are now, it's a moot point. Something to consider for next time.

Finally got my first rebuild done. I tried going to the 2.774 dim. as stated but that moved my pattern closer to the outer edge of the ring gear. So I added some shim making my dim. 2.765 and that got me right in the middle. I had some other mopar guys look at it and thought it looked good. Just waiting for this snow here to melt to try it.

-
Back