First Rebuild

-

scott657

Reaction score
I am in the process of doing my first engine rebuild. A 318.
I want to thank @krazykuda for his tutorial that I have been following. Good info, instruction, and repetition. using a couple of other sources Youtube and a Mopar rebuild book.
Just got the pistons in the block.
If you are just starting out like me you NEED one of these. $28.00 and worth $128.00
0419ACD2-B60B-431D-9D86-4777B3C526E2.jpeg

Makes it real easy once you get it dialed

I want to thank @krazykuda for his tutorial that I have been following. Good info, instruction, and repetition. using a couple of other sources Youtube and a Mopar rebuild book.
If you are just starting out like me you NEED one of these. $28.00 and worth $128.00
View attachment 1715736979

Yeah those are nice. Karl's a great guy too. He's contributed a lot to this site. Looks like nice work you're doin there!

Easy to break rings...engine building takes finesse, you have to pay attention to detail as you go and sometimes "feel" if something isn't right. You need to know when to stop and not hit things to hard with a hammer LOL! Looks like you are using the right tools!

hopefully the first of a few
Good point I have done a few Engines over the years and I am in the middle of assembling my "spare" 340. Its funny its a skill youll want to keep sharp. My second 340 was sitting aroudn in peices for years I am suddenly like I want to put this thing together, not worth much sitting around in rust. The thing is you'll have the tools so why not? Ive done 340s now theree times a 318 once and ford windor a fe times Chevy small block Ive been through all of them at least once:)

I'm hoping to continue the series this summer when my younger son gets out of school and comes for a visit... We'll see how far we can get on the rest of the build of his engine...

I'm disappointed that it's taking so long for me to get the rest of them done... :(

But my kid is not living with me now that he's in college and I only get to see him a little on his breaks... Part of life....

Good point I have done a few Engines over the years and I am in the middle of assembling my "spare" 340. Its funny its a skill youll want to keep sharp. My second 340 was sitting aroudn in peices for years I am suddenly like I want to put this thing together, not worth much sitting around in rust. The thing is you'll have the tools so why not? Ive done 340s now theree times a 318 once and ford windor a fe times Chevy small block Ive been through all of them at least once:)

You get better at building every time you put one together... There's always obstacles that go wrong that you have to figure out and that makes you a better builder for the next one...

I finished my first "real" engine build towards the beginning of this year. I'm already thinking about my next build, and how I can push it a little further and get more power next time. It's addicting once you start. And once it survives the cam break in you can actually relax a little and enjoy what you've created!

Nice job! I finished my first rebuild (318) last year, and absolutely could not have done it without this forum. Keep us updated on the progress!

Don’t rush and try not to set mental time frames. Like “I should have the heads on today” If you start to fall behind you start to feel pressure to rush things and you can miss stuff. Time management. I just had a transmission issue which required the removal and complete disassembly of it. I had three weeks before the next race. I ALWAYS start it the next day or when I get home. You will always run into delays. How you manage them will let you sleep better.

Agree with post #10. And you don't want friends 'helping'. That is how you get distracted & make mistakes.

The thought that should be first and foremost in your mind is that there is no such thing as being too clean; you can make 100 other mistakes, but parts not being clean does not have to be one of them.
Another thought is that assembling an engine is just another jig-saw puzzle, the pieces are just bigger and heavier, pay attention to how they fit together; if something doesn't "feel" right, it probably isn't, back up and find out what is wrong.

Good luck and have fun.

-
Back