first time build

-

iggys68dart

Reaction score
i am looking to start gathering parts for a stock to mild 318 build can anyone suggest a parts kit that wont kill wallet or am i better off gathering pieces one at a time

Eagle and scat make good kits, part by part also works too (I did this to my 340) but the kit usually save some money

If you don't want to spend the time buying the parts individually and are set on a kit, RockAuto.com has basic rebuild kits starting at $450. They include pistons, rings, bearings, camshaft, timing chain/gears and gaskets. Not a bad deal for a stock or near stock rebuild. You could always change out the camshaft, and sell the one that comes with the kit.

If you don't want to spend the time buying the parts individually and are set on a kit, RockAuto.com has basic rebuild kits starting at $450. They include pistons, rings, bearings, camshaft, timing chain/gears and gaskets. Not a bad deal for a stock or near stock rebuild. You could always change out the camshaft, and sell the one that comes with the kit.

Wow, they want $600 for a 225 complete rebuild kit, why so high for just a six I wonder :-D

I've used the Summit engine rebuild kit for the 318 a couple of times and like it. Suggest you wait to buy the kit until you get the candidate engine apart. If you have to re-bore the cylinders, it will affect the piston and rings you will need.

When I rebuilt the 318 in the Demon, I found that the intake manifold gaskets included in the Summit kit would not work with the Eddy 2176 Performer intake. I had to get some softer, thicker Fel-Pro gaskets to get the intake to seal properly to the 302 heads.

The engine in the Demon came out of a 68 Coronet. I ordered the 68 spec piston since the 67-70 pistons produce the highest compression, all else being equal.

-
Back