First time restorer with a '71 Dart Swinger

-

TheAutoholic

THE Autoholic
Reaction score
My friend and I recently decided to get an old car and restore it. The first car we looked at was a '71 Dart Swinger that a guy I knew had and we ended up buying it. I have gone car shopping quite a bit and rarely do you buy the first car you look at. But this car is in good condition. The body has no big rust damage, just a little bit of bondo, and a few dings. the interior needs to be redone. the engines already done, it an edelbrock equiped 318. but the car needs a complete wiring job. We bought it for $1850. I think its a great deal, and I am very excited to restor this car.

Last night I removed the entire interior, and i could use some help on how to get the dash out. Were goi ng to have the car sand blasted (I found a guy that does it for $300 dollars under the table). I will post more about the things that I am confused about in the tech forum. Im glad to find this forum, this is cool.

Ok. Im really not sure how much of the dash is removable to begin with. I am seriously thinking about buy a dart/mopar restoration book fromo somewhere...

yep you will have to pull the windshied and with the rubber seal out theres 5/6 screws into j-clips where the cowl and firewall are crimped together.

after that is a piece of cake.

71 you can get a fsm for the body.

hope this helps and good luck with car.

abodybill said:
71 you can get a fsm for the body.

Im sorry but i dont know what fsm means. I Googled it and all I got was "Federated States of Micronesia" , "Film Score monthly", and Free Speech Movement".. ha ha

I believe he means "Factory Service Manual", which you can usually find used or in reproduction at any decent Mopar Swap meet.

You can also buy the repros from varous sources or buy them on CD.

-
Back