Floods locally

-

Big Dad

Reaction score
Here in our local area , we had a huge storm system park above us, not over yet in SE SoDak .. lots of washed out bridges, culverts , roads .. I'm pumping water out of basement due to drenched soil and just leaches thru the concrete .

over 6 inches last night, more coming later .. yuk

SRV singing is my current work music

I was this many years old the 1st time I witnessed this

culvert.jpg

Great Song, BAD weather!
Half of my 10 acre property is under water here in Rush City, MN. -and more coming! Luckily, the house and shop are both on high ground.

I got to see Stevie play those songs live in Austin, TX during a torrential storm, along with the Fabulous Thunderbirds as opening act. It was amazing. The canopy over the stage gave gave way to the rain. Then Stevie and his brother, Jimmy Vaughan, came out in front of the crowd and setup a single folding chair. Stevie sat down with a double neck guitar and started playing the lower neck, and then Jimmy stood behind Stevie and started playing the upper neck over Stevie's shoulders. They played like that for probably 20-30 minutes while the stage crew got the canopy back up and then the whole band resumed as the storm moved just to north behind the stage and produced an awesome lightning show in the distant night sky.
Man, that was a killer night. Me and a buddy drove there from San Marcos in a brand new Vette on "loan" from the dealership we worked at. I think it was either 1984 or Spring of '85.

Too bad Mother Nature can't distribute that more evenly . We are parched and Hot here in Arizona. I hate dealing with flooded basements, did it many times when I lived in Kansas.

Great Song, BAD weather!
Half of my 10 acre property is under water here in Rush City, MN. -and more coming! Luckily, the house and shop are both on high ground.
We haven't had the deluge and downpours at our place in Zimmerman (this week, knock on wood), but it seems to...just...keep...raining....

The water level in the marsh/slough/frog pond across the road is pretty high, and the mosquitos are horrendous right now!

We haven't had the deluge and downpours at our place in Zimmerman (this week, knock on wood), but it seems to...just...keep...raining....

The water level in the marsh/slough/frog pond across the road is pretty high, and the mosquitos are horrendous right now!
Yea, let's not talk about the 'squitos! OMG

just had a 2 hour complete downpour, could not see across the street . overwhelmed the city sewer I guess, backed up into my basement .. got 4 inches of water to get out .. what a complete mess

Friend at Leroy MN. Minnesota / Iowa boarder has water standing in his yard right now.

☆☆☆☆☆

This entire area is a complete disaster .. it will take a long time to get our lives back to something kind of normal .. I have two pumps going in basement , I suspect that will take a couple days to empty ..

I had to drive about 20 miles to get them this morning , drove thru water over the road 4 times and around barricades ,, but had to try to drain this mess

It is a mess here in Rock Rapids. Was expecting a crest of twenty five feet. Which was same as flood of '93. 2014 it crested at twenty seven. So, we took what we thought were appropriate measures. This time was another perfect storm, pun intended. It crested at just over twenty eight feet, a new record. Yippee..... We have three feet of water in that basement, have the generator with two sumps going. It's starting to catch up a little. It won't fully be drained until the city works can start pumping for the sewer again. That's where the water came from, sewer back up through the floor drain. No power, they had to shut the whole east side off. We underestimated and are paying the price. But, we are still fortunate. There were two more families this time around that lost foundations of their homes. We are still able to stay in ours. No loss of life here. Seventeen miles south west in Rock Valley, Iowa, reports of two drowning and a missing child. My cousin has a metal working business there, sounds it's a total loss. The power of water is something to behold. To all affected, stay safe.

20240622_064833.jpg
This is the road directly in front of our house and shop. The little Vega is my neighbor's at his shop. First pic taken about six this morning. If you look, you can see the water line behind it.

20240622_161622.jpg

This is later this afternoon. It's fubar.

First and second pics are this morning, same times as the Vega pics. Third is yesterday about 3:00 p.m. Basically, what you can see in this pic(minus the table) was under.

Damn, guys. I feel for ya'll struggling with this. We have a ton of water on our property as well, but it's all still in areas that we don't need to use. Our house and shop are still probably 10 feet higher than the flooded areas, and we don't have a basement to worry about.
Best wishes for drier weather!

-
Back