fluid analysis?

-

volaredon

Reaction score
Not a Mopar, and nothing of mine. at work I have a ford truck that came in with contaminated brake fluid.
Not sure "with what," but would like to. It seperated into layers when I sucked out all the fluid from the master with a turkey baster, and put into canning jars. When I took the old master off, I took it over to the water hose reel to blow it out before I put it in the box as a core.
and what was in there had congealed pretty thick, and definitely wasn't mixing in with the water I was using to flush. I have 3 pint sized canning jars full of just master cylinder contents. this is getting to be a PITA, a huge mess. truck is a 17, F650.
their complaints made no sense til I pulled the caps from the reservoir. when I saw the gaskets swelled and busted, all their complaints on how it was acting, made sense.
I know what I gotta do to make sure the brakes will be good, still waiting on some parts to get here.
Im 5 quarts of new brake fluid into it so far, I'm guessing at least 2-4 more before I'm done. It took 3 quarts just to bench bleed the new master. that reservoir is huge. and the cylinder itself is around 2".

How would I go about getting a fluid analysis done?

I know there a places to send it to, But, I've also heard your local collage may help... that would be the most convenient and fastest... you could try a Google search too.. man, I'd think the calipers would need gone through. You got that covered though... I'm trying to think what the heck they put in there? Brake Parts cleaner?

Adding Dot 4 or powering steering fluid to Dot 3 will do that... don't ask how I know..
superbirdcleanup20182019 587.JPG

Adding Dot 4 or powering steering fluid to Dot 3 will do that... don't ask how I know..
View attachment 1715902095
That is interesting...I've seen personally what adding trans fluid does as I bought a car that had this done to it. The rubber gasket in the cap had swelled up and was almost jelly like. I replaced every component in the brake system including all lines and hoses after seeing the cap.

I will have to disagree with combining DOT 3 and DOT 4 though. Dot 4 is reverse compatible and has a higher boiling temp than DOT 3. DOT 5 However, is silicone based and a different animal all together.:)

Local Cat dealer does oil analysis but I don't know about brake fluid. It would be worth a call to one of the heavy equipment dealers, Joe

-
Back