FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I know it's 7/16, but what is
1. overall length
2. length of shoulder
3. Length of threaded area
Thanks
Steve

Hey Steve. I've got a set of new ARP flywheel bolts here. The overall length is 7/8". The shoulder portion is 3/16" and the threaded portion is 11/16".

1709981552469.jpeg

Steve do you have some that you are verifying are correct or going to the hardware store?

Reason I ask is... IMHO if the hardware store route I would buy some that are designed for the purpose like the ones BrianT posted rather than generic bolts.

Just me being me! :rolleyes:

ARP usually have a shank or shoulder portion that are pretty tight.
I ran into that with my McLeod flywheel and slant six crank.

I just did ARP on a crank and flex plate/ TQ - same bolts for both on my application.
They use a special grease not loc-tite.
I spoke to the guy at ARP and he said “if you use their bolts, do not expect the same levels of confidence with loc-tite.” Now, does any one know why?
Sorry Steve, didn’t mean to steal the thread. I figured we were past that answer you needed and a good place to ask since ARP bolts have been mentioned.
Syleng1

Thanks folks, I posed the question more for ID purposes(looking thru my bolt bin). Bennoel loaned me his 4spd bellhousing, and I have a flywheel. This is for engine breakin purposes.
Good info guys! :thumbsup:

the original mopar ones will have a cut under the head only the outer 60% of the head presses on the flywheel

presume this is an anti- come undone- feature. but i dunno. really

same tension in bolt applied by only the outer 60% of the bolt head = much higher friction between bolt head and flywheel therefore less likely to come undone. is what i was told

it seems similar to something i have heard about called a Cosworth ring..
in that case you scribe a circle through the flywheel bolt holes then use a lathe or mill to cut a a narrow very shallow groove following your circle, which in theory does much the same. i.e the bolt head surface area touching the flywheel is reduced due to the small trench you just cut in it, but the torque you apply is much the same hence the friction between bolt head and the flywheel increases.

could all be horse doo-doo

seems to make general sense, but i don't know enough about pressure, friction and the impact of the properties of differing materials to know.

I'm using chrysler bolts they seem to work well enough for my standard ish type use

Dave

-
Back