For engine swap...difference between LA 318 / 360

-

Hellcat Cuda

Reaction score
Is there anyone who know's specifically the differences between the LA 318 and 360 engines for a direct swap. A friend wants to replace a tired LA318 in a '71 B body with a LA360 crate motor he's been researching. From many years ago, I know it's not an exact swap. From what I can recall, at least one motor mount bracket is different; I believe the oil pan is different around the end seals(?) and possibly there some differences in the pulleys. I know the harmonic balancers are different and the weights on the torque converter. He'll be getting a 727 to replace the 904, so I told him to get a TC for the 360 and also that he'll need to shorten his drive shaft or get a new one.

That's all I can remember and think of. Can anyone here confirm the details about the brackets, pulleys, oil pan???

• Motor mount from the 318 can be made to work if you want to put spacers on the drivers side. Otherwise, get a 360 mount
  • You can use a neutral balanced converter IF you put a balanced flexplate on the 360. Or, get a balanced TC
  • 360 oil pans are different from the other LA small blocks, and you'll need a car pan/pick up
  • Harmonic balancer needs to be for the 360
  • pulleys and brackets are all interchangeable
  • Pretty straight forward swap to be honest.

Motor mounts, torque converter balance.
If it is a complete engine for complete engine swap....

Swap from 904 to 727 will need a new drive shaft

340/360 motor mounts for B body are plentiful they are the same ones for E body. Post a wanted add here they will show up.

Not sure but aren't the exhaust ports larger on a 360 ? Intake as well if your using your old intake ?

Some things will depend on the year of the 360 block and heads. Smog heads will need the A.I.R. ports plugged to work with the 318 exhaust manifolds. I'd get some 360 (or 340 if you have the extra cash) manifolds or headers instead for better flow and go with a bigger tube full dual exhaust. Intake to match the heads too. Carb to match the horsepower and RPM range it will be operated. Going to a 727 instead of a 904 (I wouldn't, but, that's my personal choice), you will need a slip yoke to match it and the U-joint to be used. If the car is a floor shift, some of the shift linkage is different, but can usually be modified. Just make sure the extension housing has the bosses for the lower shifter linkage bracket. The kickdown linkage is different too if you're going from a stock 318 2bbl to a 4bbl. Get a complete 4bbl setup, or, go to a cable system. As mentioned, the oil pans are different. Get a car type pan for that body and you should be able to use the 318 pickup, dip stick, and tube if your 360 doesn't already come with one. All the other things mentioned regarding motor mount brackets, converter/flexplate, and brackets/pulleys is needed too. One note on the crank pulley is that the one on the '71 318 has one bolt offset. If you use a '72 and newer 360 balancer with that pulley, you'll need to oblong that one pulley hole to get the last bolt installed. Not a big deal, but, I thought I would mention it.

-
Back