for the wood workers

-
That IS too cool. was there a set of drawings with it, or are they available? Where did you find that? I want to build a few of them as gifts.

I followed links through Google Maker contest. Must have been a winner from previous year.
Maybe the creator could provide plans. He says it was cnc cut so I don't know if more conventional methods would get the same results. Might be more fun to figure out that part of it.

Nice.

I love interactive/articulated furniture.

...looks like something you would see in the early popular mechanics. They had some cool wood working projects. one was how to build a in ground pool out of 4*8 pieces of plywood.

if anyone snags the plans, pls post.

ian.

Tried to find plans - looks like this guy is looking for investors to do these as a business. So, doubt you will get his drawings. Doesnt look too difficult, but a few of the dimensions would be somewhat critical. The piece going back from the foot bar connects to another that slides up and down under the seat. Looks like it 'locks' the leg in place, but then pops right back when they push it. If you can figure the details of that out...

That is nice. I like how it saves space and looks modern (ie, mid century)...

If he made one, I don't know why he wouldn't just manufacture them. Pretty slick idea. I suppose with some nice solid and laminated wood, like laminated oak, you could build your own on the same principals.

I'm working on a few pieces of furniture, myself. Finished restoring a couple of tile tables with cone legs, one was a kidney top that needed new molding and legs that my mom found at a garage sale, shoved behind a bunch of junk for $1.

She just brought a full set of lace fiberglass patio furniture over that needs some gluing and a new glass top made for the table from about '65.

Got a set of tulip chairs in horrible shape and cleaned them up at work, then found a tulip base table when I was shopping craigslist for a set of JC Higgins cruiser bikes. Showed up to get the bikes, guy throws in the matching table for the chair set I had, because I mentioned that I had them.

Tried to find plans - looks like this guy is looking for investors to do these as a business. So, doubt you will get his drawings. Doesnt look too difficult, but a few of the dimensions would be somewhat critical. The piece going back from the foot bar connects to another that slides up and down under the seat. Looks like it 'locks' the leg in place, but then pops right back when they push it. If you can figure the details of that out...

I can see double or maybe triple material thickness in part of the upright panel which prevents the seat top from teetering but I cant see anything sliding there.
I like that it is all fastened together so a good wind wouldn't scatter it over the lawn. Sad part is wood warps. For outdoor use, It needs to be made of other materials like those umbrella chairs, ez up canopies, etc. It does look nice in the outdoor settings though.
If someone wants to build on for me, I promise to carry it in and out as needed and take care of it :)

Ut-oh Patent pending means beware. You cant legally copy it without improving it and much more than adding an umbrella is required.
I had assumed the plans would be sold to some PBS show. The creator has his sights set much higher than that. Best of luck to him.

Ut-oh Patent pending means beware. You cant legally copy it without improving it and much more than adding an umbrella is required.
I had assumed the plans would be sold to some PBS show. The creator has his sights set much higher than that. Best of luck to him.

It's OK, I'm not going to sell it. lol

Clever bit of design. Anything that can be done with a CNC router can be done without one. The cuts here could be done with patterns, a template collar and a spiral upcut bit. Heck you could do it with a jigsaw if you were a glutton for punishment. Then again, if you could sell a batch of these you'd go a long way towards paying for a CNC machine.

-
Back