Force Update

-
Here's another report:

John Force is "improving," according to a team release that said the 16-time NHRA drag racing champion was moved from a trauma intensive care unit to a neuro intensive care unit so his medical team can focus on his head injury.

"The move was a welcome positive for his family members, who have maintained a daily presence at the hospital all week," according to a John Force Racing statement Thursday afternoon.

Top Fuel driver Brittany Force will skip the Summit Racing Equipment Nationals in Norwalk, Ohio, to remain at the hospital with family supporting her father. Austin Prock will compete in Funny Car for JFR this weekend.

"The Force family is grateful for the team of medical professionals who are caring for John, and for the overwhelming number of heartfelt messages of prayer, support, and concern. Thank you for continuing to respect the privacy of the family and John Force Racing team members," the statement said.

It was the first update on Force's condition since late Monday night.

Force, 75, was injured Sunday during a fiery crash at Virginia Motorsports Park in the NHRA Virginia Nationals. He was described as alert and conscious when he was extricated from the wreck and transported to a Virginia hospital.

Damn. Plus and minus. He is only a year younger than I, and part of that may well be birthday month. A quick search "may" have shown that no other driver is even close to John in age, in top fuel.

It sounds like they're being extra cautious, but I guess I look at it like this: If it's possible for the human body to be conditioned to the effects of extreme acceleration, whether positive or negative acceleration, it's going to be him. I hope he's OK.

Tough week for the racing world....

The forces placed on their bodies doing the G’s they are almost unbearable. They softened the parachute deployment years ago after guys were getting detached retinas.

Damn. Plus and minus. He is only a year younger than I, and part of that may well be birthday month. A quick search "may" have shown that no other driver is even close to John in age, in top fuel.
Force (John) drives in Fuel Funny Car not Top Fuel. And that matters because in Top Fuel, Chris Karamesines still holds the oldest active driver award. He drove in to his 80s. John force gets that title in Funny Car.

-
Back